Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obi Softbody Car Deformation
Bombilla 
Hello, i want to make car deformation like Beamng. i learned and made static softbody object with particle group. 

But problem is when collide softbody is recover itself, reverts to the original model, you know what i'm talking about. I don't want like wooble, i want to bend metal and stays like it.

(17-09-2022, 10:21 PM)tufis16 Wrote: Hello, i want to make car deformation like Beamng. i learned and made static softbody object with particle group. 

But problem is when collide softbody is recover itself, reverts to the original model, you know what i'm talking about. I don't want like wooble, i want to bend metal and stays like it.

Hi,

Car deformation does not usually use softbodies. The reason for this is that softbodies are “soft” (as the name implies) and cars are made out of solid metal and hence fairly rigid. A good approach is using a rigidbody plus a MeshCollider that gets updated on collision. You can optionally use elastoplastic struts (like BeamNG) to determine the amount of permanent deformation on the mesh.

You can get softbodies to be more rigid, but at the expense of performance (by increasing the amount of substeps in your ObiFixedUpdater).

To get softbodies to “keep” their deformation, use the plasticity settings in the ObiSoftbody component. See: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...aints.html
(18-09-2022, 08:59 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

Car deformation does not usually use softbodies. The reason for this is that softbodies are “soft” (as the name implies) and cars are made out of solid metal and hence fairly rigid. A good approach is using a rigidbody plus a MeshCollider that gets updated on collision. You can optionally use elastoplastic struts (like BeamNG) to determine the amount of permanent deformation on the mesh.

You can get softbodies to be more rigid, but at the expense of performance (by increasing the amount of substeps in your ObiFixedUpdater).

To get softbodies to “keep” their deformation, use the plasticity settings in the ObiSoftbody component. See: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...aints.html

Thank you so much you are helping too much <3