Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  I have some questions about the fabric
Hello, I checked the forum and the document, and mentioned that the fabric does not support non-manifold mesh. 
Forgive me for my unprofessional, after I read the document you shared, I probably understand the non-manifold mesh.
But what I don't understand is what a 2-manifold is? 

When I tried to merge the model fixes into the mesh in Blender, the repaired simulations were sometimes even weirder than the unrepaired ones (in skin mode), and there was little difference between before and after the fixes in Cloth mode(This one can be ignored, which may be caused by my incorrect configuration. Modified at 01:56:30 on September 2, 2022)

And I see that OBI seems to automatically merge meshes? 

So Obi will automatically deal with repairing some non-manifold meshes?

==============================================================
"Generate a list of merged mesh vertices, ignoring uv and normal seams."-Documen

https://sinestesia.co/blog/tutorials/non...-fix-them/-One of your responses
(01-09-2022, 05:42 PM)tecnnt Wrote: Hello, I checked the forum and the document, and mentioned that the fabric does not support non-manifold mesh. 
Forgive me for my unprofessional, after I read the document you shared, I probably understand the non-manifold mesh.
But what I don't understand is what a 2-manifold is? 

Hi!

A 2-manifold mesh is a mesh that can be unfolded into a continuous, flat 2D surface. Think of a t-shirt: you can cut it at the sides, and then unfold it flat into a table as a single piece of cloth. Basically any real piece of cloth is considered a 2-manifold, non-manifold cloth surfaces could not exist in the real world.

This can be helpful: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/m...y-htm.html

(01-09-2022, 05:42 PM)tecnnt Wrote: And I see that OBI seems to automatically merge meshes? So Obi will automatically deal with repairing some non-manifold meshes?

No, Obi does not automatically merge meshes or fix non-manifold geometry. All it does is close UV/Normal seams in the mesh, to prevent the simulation from creating gaps at those seams.

let me know if you need further help,

kind regards
(02-09-2022, 11:17 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!

A 2-manifold mesh is a mesh that can be unfolded into a continuous, flat 2D surface. Think of a t-shirt: you can cut it at the sides, and then unfold it flat into a table as a single piece of cloth. Basically any real piece of cloth is considered a 2-manifold, non-manifold cloth surfaces could not exist in the real world.

This can be helpful: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/m...y-htm.html

No, Obi does not automatically merge meshes or fix non-manifold geometry. All it does is close UV/Normal seams in the mesh, to prevent the simulation from creating gaps at those seams.

let me know if you need further help,

kind regards
Whether it can be understood as: whether the model itself is a perfect manifold geometry. Obi supports as long as the geometry can be flattened into a piece of cloth?

I have uploaded an attachment. I think this model should not satisfy Manifold Objects. Because I did a grid split of orders and edges. However, it can be simulated normally in OBI. So I'm conflicted about these two concepts

Attached Files
.zip   ClothSheetNew1.zip (Size: 12.54 KB / Downloads: 1)
(03-09-2022, 04:28 AM)tecnnt Wrote: Whether it can be understood as: whether the model itself is a perfect manifold geometry. Obi supports as long as the geometry can be flattened into a piece of cloth?

I have uploaded an attachment. I think this model should not satisfy Manifold Objects. Because I did a grid split of orders and edges. However, it can be simulated normally in OBI. So I'm conflicted about these two concepts

Hi,

I just inspected your mesh, and it's a perfect 2-manifold.

Asking blender to find non-manifold features only marks the outer edges and a few inner faces that are detached from the neighboring ones. This is because blender considers open edges to be non-manifold features (since Blender considers 2-manifolds need to also form a closed volume).

Other than the open edges (which most apps other than Blender won't consider non-manifold) there's no non-manifold features: no floating vertices, no edges shared by more than 2 faces, no adjacent faces with opposite winding order, no zero area faces, no zero length edges, etc. The mesh is perfectly fine as far as Obi is concerned.
(05-09-2022, 07:33 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

I just inspected your mesh, and it's a perfect 2-manifold.

Asking blender to find non-manifold features only marks the outer edges and a few inner faces that are detached from the neighboring ones. This is because blender considers open edges to be non-manifold features (since Blender considers 2-manifolds need to also form a closed volume).

Other than the open edges (which most apps other than Blender won't consider non-manifold) there's no non-manifold features: no floating vertices, no edges shared by more than 2 faces, no adjacent faces with opposite winding order, no zero area faces, no zero length edges, etc. The mesh is perfectly fine as far as Obi is concerned.
Thank you for your reply. According to my use in recent days, it is as you said.