Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newb- SoftBody Interactions & Appearance
Hi there, 
I am a new user and have a few questions. First tho, I really like the product so far. I have a sphere, set up and it falls into a ground. So that is great. I am looking forward to getting it set up to some more custom setting tho. 

1. When a body is moving, laterally, (after collision with other soft body, sphere rolling away), the material of this body, or perhaps the body itself, is not rotating. The object is just moving. Is there a way to insure a rotation, reflective of movement?
2. The same spheres as mentioned above have been set to (largely) the default settings. I have played with this settings but was not able to get, visually exactly what I want. What I want is, a stiffer object. This sphere, is more of a blob. I would like a soft ball. 

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. 
Thank you
(17-08-2022, 05:49 PM)Renman3000 Wrote: 1. When a body is moving, laterally, (after collision with other soft body, sphere rolling away), the material of this body, or perhaps the body itself, is not rotating. The object is just moving. Is there a way to insure a rotation, reflective of movement?

Hi!

Probably the object is frictionless. No friction, no rotation: the object will just slide as if on ice. Add a collision material with some friction to either the surface it's supposed to roll on or the softbody itself. See:

http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...rials.html

(17-08-2022, 05:49 PM)Renman3000 Wrote: 2. The same spheres as mentioned above have been set to (largely) the default settings. I have played with this settings but was not able to get, visually exactly what I want. What I want is, a stiffer object. This sphere, is more of a blob. I would like a soft ball. 

You can either use more shape matching constraint iterations, or more substeps. Both will make the object stiffer.
Simulation settings (such as constraint iterations) are found in the ObiSolver component, update settings (such as susbsteps) are found in the ObiFixedUpdater component.

The manual contains a very in-depth explanation of how the engine works internally, and how iterations/substeps affect the results:

http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...gence.html

let me know if you need further help!

kind regards,
Thank you!