Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  (somewhat) Solid parts in a simulated actor.
Let's say I want to simulate a bra using ObiCloth. I would like to keep the parts that cover the breasts as close to solid as I can, simulate all the other parts (including the part that holds the two pieces together) as cloth pieces and do it all in one mesh. Is this possible? If so, how?
(07-07-2022, 04:30 PM)KaanOzcelik Wrote: Let's say I want to simulate a bra using ObiCloth. I would like to keep the parts that cover the breasts as close to solid as I can, simulate all the other parts (including the part that holds the two pieces together) as cloth pieces and do it all in one mesh. Is this possible? If so, how?

Hi!

Depends on what you mean by "solid". Is it solid as in more resistant to bending? Solid as in not moving at all?

If you're using skinned cloth (which is what you want for character clothing) you can just set the skin constraint radius to zero. That will turn cloth completely solid, in the sense that it will follow the animation and not be simulated at all. Progressively larger skin radius values will blend more simulation into the cloth behavior.

See: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...aints.html
(08-07-2022, 02:30 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!

Depends on what you mean by "solid". Is it solid as in more resistant to bending? Solid as in not moving at all?

If you're using skinned cloth (which is what you want for character clothing) you can just set the skin constraint radius to zero. That will turn cloth completely solid, in the sense that it will follow the animation and not be simulated at all. Progressively larger skin radius values will blend more simulation into the cloth behavior.

See: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...aints.html

Ah no, it's not for a character. This bra object is laying on the ground, and the objective is to move it to a nearby washing machine by dragging it. What I want to do is keep the breast covering parts more resistant to bending as you said, while keeping the parts that go around the body more compliant to bending, all in one mesh. Can I apply different bending constraint parameters to different groups?
(08-07-2022, 03:32 PM)KaanOzcelik Wrote: Ah no, it's not for a character. This bra object is laying on the ground, and the objective is to move it to a nearby washing machine by dragging it. What I want to do is keep the breast covering parts more resistant to bending as you said, while keeping the parts that go around the body more compliant to bending, all in one mesh. Can I apply different bending constraint parameters to different groups?

If that's the case, you're out of luck: there's no out of the box support for varying bending compliance across a mesh. The entire cloth actor shares the same compliance parameter.

In the future we have considered exposing stretching and bending compliance in the blueprint editor as paintable properties, but it's not available yet.
(08-07-2022, 04:02 PM)josemendez Wrote: If that's the case, you're out of luck: there's no out of the box support for varying bending compliance across a mesh. The entire cloth actor shares the same compliance parameter.

In the future we have considered exposing stretching and bending compliance in the blueprint editor as paintable properties, but it's not available yet.

Bummer... Will have to use different clothings then. Thanks anyways! Looking forward for those changes!