Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mesh doesn't display when setting up Soft Body
Hi, I was wondering if anyone was having the problem of a mesh not displaying in the Editor window or game window after setting up the soft body?   If so, is there a solution.

I was going through the tutorials on youtube and the ball setup went fine, but when using anything more complex than a sphere, more ofthen than not, the mesh does not display.   My meshes aren't large or tiny when I drag just the mesh into the scene but they just don't seem to want to work.

What I'm trying to get working is a character mesh, and I have rigged it up and brought it in and it works fine, so the mesh is solid.  It just doesn't seem to want to play nice with Obi soft body.

Thanks for any suggestions.
(05-06-2022, 02:15 AM)Beavis Wrote: Hi, I was wondering if anyone was having the problem of a mesh not displaying in the Editor window or game window after setting up the soft body?   If so, is there a solution.

I was going through the tutorials on youtube and the ball setup went fine, but when using anything more complex than a sphere, more ofthen than not, the mesh does not display.   My meshes aren't large or tiny when I drag just the mesh into the scene but they just don't seem to want to work.

Hi there!

There's 3 usual reasons for softbody meshes to not display:

1.- The object's hierarchy transform has large scale values (Blender's default export options set the transform's scale to 100, so this is a typical pitfall), so the untransformed mesh is tiny. You mention this is not your case so I think we can safely exclude it.

2.- Forgot to bind the skin to the softbody, or the binding settings were incorrect (too small skin radius, so no vertices get bound to any softbody particle)

3.- Renderer bounds not updated, mesh gets culled by the camera.

Quote:What I'm trying to get working is a character mesh, and I have rigged it up and brought it in and it works fine, so the mesh is solid. 

This doesn't mean the mesh is good for physical simulation, scaled bones for instance are fine for animation but won't work for simulations.

Would it be possible for you to share your mesh (and/or a scene with your setup) to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com so that I can take a closer look? I believe that's the fastest way to help you.

kind regards,