Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Can I make something like a Sky Dancer with Obi Cloth?

I'm trying to simulate motion like a video.
It feels like it is shaken by the wind, and the strength of the wind changes depending on the input value.
I plan to purchase it because it looks like it can be done using Obi Cloth.
It is expected that it will be possible by using the balloon function, etc.
So, I ask you to check before purchasing.
Is such a feature possible with Obi Cloth?

Or does Obisoft Body have a function that continuously shakes it with an external force such as the wind?
If so, would a softbody be a better choice?
(31-05-2022, 06:14 AM)Redbeetle Wrote:

I'm trying to simulate motion like a video.
It feels like it is shaken by the wind, and the strength of the wind changes depending on the input value.
I plan to purchase it because it looks like it can be done using Obi Cloth.
It is expected that it will be possible by using the balloon function, etc.
So, I ask you to check before purchasing.
Is such a feature possible with Obi Cloth?

Or does Obisoft Body have a function that continuously shakes it with an external force such as the wind?
If so, would a softbody be a better choice?

Hi there,

Sky Dancers work based on varying air pressure inside them: gusts or pressure travel from the bottom to the top, making them "dance". Obi cloth assumes air pressure is spatially constant inside cloth, so it won't work in this case.

Obi Softbody isn't well suited either since this isn't actually a softbody but a thin shell.

I think the best fit for this use case is ObiRope. The Sky Dancer is basically a tube, which is cheaply modeled using a rope, and the gusts of pressure inside can be modeled as bend constraints of varying compliance.

All Obi assets support external wind forces, so you can also include them using ObiRope if you wish.

kind regards,