Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Disable twisting of an Obi Rod
Hello,

I would like to know if it's possible to disable rod twisting ?
Indeed, I'm interesting by some features of Obi Rod. 

I've read in the documentation that the Obi Rope don't contains twisting property.

Is changing my Obi Rod to Obi Rope my only solution?
Or is there an option to disable the twisting feature of a rod?

I am mainly interested in the "stiffness/resistance" that the rod offers.
I find the rope far too sensitive and flexible.
The aim is to create a kind of garden hose, which therefore has resistance.
I hope to make myself understood ^^

So, My last proposal / question : Is it possible to make a rope less flexible? To make it more rigid, so that the curve can make an inverted "U"?

[Image: arrosage_eau_de_pluie-main-2018636.jpg]
Thanks in advance.

PS : I am not English, so sorry for my broken English
(02-05-2022, 09:43 AM)Xameal Wrote: Hello,

I would like to know if it's possible to disable rod twisting ?
Indeed, I'm interesting by some features of Obi Rod. 

I've read in the documentation that the Obi Rope don't contains twisting property.

Is changing my Obi Rod to Obi Rope my only solution?
Or is there an option to disable the twisting feature of a rod?

I am mainly interested in the "stiffness/resistance" that the rod offers.
I find the rope far too sensitive and flexible.
The aim is to create a kind of garden hose, which therefore has resistance.
I hope to make myself understood ^^

So, My last proposal / question : Is it possible to make a rope less flexible? To make it more rigid, so that the curve can make an inverted "U"?

[Image: arrosage_eau_de_pluie-main-2018636.jpg]
Thanks in advance.

PS : I am not English, so sorry for my broken English

Hi there,

Yes, you can simulate a garden hose using rods. You can adjust bending/twisting compliance (flexibility) independently. See: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...aints.html

If the default solver settings result in a rod that's too flexible, remember you can crank up the amount of substeps used to update the simulation to improve overall simulation quality.

kind regards,
(02-05-2022, 10:54 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there,

Yes, you can simulate a garden hose using rods. You can adjust bending/twisting compliance (flexibility) independently. See: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...aints.html

If the default solver settings result in a rod that's too flexible, remember you can crank up the amount of substeps used to update the simulation to improve overall simulation quality.

kind regards,
Thank you for your reply,

Only, I had already read this part of the documentation, but I can't find the values to put to completely cancel this torsion effect.
(02-05-2022, 12:47 PM)Xameal Wrote: Thank you for your reply,

Only, I had already read this part of the documentation, but I can't find the values to put to completely cancel this torsion effect.

By "cancel this torsion effect" I'm not sure if you mean you want the rod to twist freely (infinite torsion compliance) or to not twist at all (zero torsion compliance).

For a hose, using zero torsion compliance (the default) will try to remove all torsion from it. See the SpringRod or Plectoneme sample scenes.