Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request a car demo
Pregunta 
Hello,

I would like to see a demo of Obi soft body asset of some cars (using rigid body and wheel colliders for controlling the car as well as Obi for simulating of car parts damaging).

it would be great if the author shares a youtube video of such a demo at a very least.
we want to make sure if first of all it is possible and second if it performs well.

thanks in advance.
(01-05-2022, 11:40 PM)Farzin Wrote: Hello,

I would like to see a demo of Obi soft body asset of some cars (using rigid body and wheel colliders for controlling the car as well as Obi for simulating of car parts damaging).

it would be great if the author shares a youtube video of such a demo at a very least.
we want to make sure if first of all it is possible and second if it performs well.

thanks in advance.

Hi,

I’d advise against using any softbody engine (particularly a particle-based one like Obi) for this. Car damage simulation is best implemented using mesh-based collision detection and deformation, since cars are fairly rigid and the forces involved are rather large.

Softbodies would require a very small timestep to appear that rigid, which is very costly. You could use a mass-spring system for dynamics (as BeamNG does) but that’s as far as you can go imho.

Kind regards,