Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Rope Collision
Hello,

it seems I am too stupid to use collision detection with my rope. My scene has different objects that need to be placed on a table. Besides the other objects, my rope falls through the table and through the floor into nirvana. I am using the Obi Collider and already different tried settings according the documentation. Settings attached in the screenshot.

Thank you!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(25-04-2022, 09:10 PM)TeeJay Wrote: Hello,

it seems I am too stupid to use collision detection with my rope. My scene has different objects that need to be placed on a table. Besides the other objects, my rope falls through the table and through the floor into nirvana. I am using the Obi Collider and already different tried settings according the documentation. Settings attached in the screenshot.

Thank you!

Hi there!

You've added rigidbody and collider components to your rope, which doesn't make any sense.

The rope is a deformable body, it has mass, velocity, inertia etc. No need for a rigidbody component (as it cannot be a deformable and a rigid body at the same time). Similarly, it already performs collision detection of its own, no need for collider components. What is happening is that the rope is falling twice: due to its own gravity, and the gravity applied by the rigidbody component.

Simply remove the rigidbody and collider components from your rope, as they serve no purpose. Then add a collider component to your table so that the rope can collide with it.

Keep in mind that colliders/rigidbodies are intended to be used with objects that do not deform (hence the term "rigid"). This means walls, tables, chairs, etc. Ropes in Obi are made of particles, each one with its own velocity, mass and collision shape, so there's no use in adding colliders or rigidbodies to a rope - or any other Obi actor for that matter.

let me know if I can be of further help,
Hi Jose. Thank you very much. It now works.
(26-04-2022, 09:15 AM)TeeJay Wrote: Hi Jose. Thank you very much. It now works.

You're welcome Sonrisa