Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Link prefab not working when making a chain
I have a chain link made in Blender. When I use it for a chain it seems to make the chain, but I can't see it. I tried with a small sphere, made in Unity, and it works just fine. There must be something I did wrong in Blender, or when exporting. Any tips much appreciated.
(07-03-2022, 03:35 PM)dmenn Wrote: I have a chain link made in Blender. When I use it for a chain it seems to make the chain, but I can't see it. I tried with a small sphere, made in Unity, and it works just fine. There must be something I did wrong in Blender, or when exporting. Any tips much appreciated.
So tried again - just made a default torus in Blender - .12m on a side - a ring. Did nothing to it except Export to FBX and bring into Unity. Selected as prefab for the chain renderer and I can't see anything but the chain spline...

(07-03-2022, 04:45 PM)dmenn Wrote: So tried again - just made a default torus in Blender - .12m on a side - a ring. Did nothing to it except Export to FBX and bring into Unity. Selected as prefab for the chain renderer and I can't see anything but the chain spline...

I think I got it. For some reason the link, when used as a prefab for the chain, changes scale? I got very small compared to other objects imported from the same Blender file. So scaled it in the Link Scale of the Chain Renderer and now I can see my chain.
(07-03-2022, 04:45 PM)dmenn Wrote: So tried again - just made a default torus in Blender - .12m on a side - a ring. Did nothing to it except Export to FBX and bring into Unity. Selected as prefab for the chain renderer and I can't see anything but the chain spline...

I think I got it. For some reason the link, when used as a prefab for the chain, changes scale? I got very small compared to other objects imported from the same Blender file. So scaled it in the Link Scale of the Chain Renderer and now I can see my chain.

Hi!

The chain renderer lets you choose the scale applied to the prefab instances by setting the "link scale". If the default scale of 1 results in tiny, invisible links that means your object has been exported from Blender with a huge scale value.

Drag and drop your prefab into the scene, then check the scale value of its root transform. My guess is it won't be 1, but more like 100 or larger. The fix is simple: if your object is scaled inside of blender, apply the scale to its vertices (Object->Apply->Scale) before exporting. Also make sure units are properly honored in the FBX exporter and Unity's import settings. This might help: https://artisticrender.com/how-and-why-d...n-blender/

Let me know if I can be of further help. cheers!