Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rope & Rod 'wobble'
Hello - making some progress with a cable simulation.  I have a very bare bones demo working but there is a slight wobble I can't seem to get rid of.  Please see the attached gifs for a rope & rod test.  On the solver, setting damping & inertia to 0.9999 reduces wobble but not 100%.

We're still trying to do just a simple cable animation, such as when you unplug/plugin something with a cable attached, we just need the cable to look natural as it 'follows' the attachments.

(31-01-2022, 05:20 PM)billmccrary Wrote: Hello - making some progress with a cable simulation.  I have a very bare bones demo working but there is a slight wobble I can't seem to get rid of.  Please see the attached gifs for a rope & rod test.  On the solver, setting damping & inertia to 0.9999 reduces wobble but not 100%.

We're still trying to do just a simple cable animation, such as when you unplug/plugin something with a cable attached, we just need the cable to look natural as it 'follows' the attachments.

Hi there!

There should be no wobbling at all, ropes come to a perfect rest bu default. Increasing damping that high will result in unnatural simulation, since it will remove almost all energy from the rope.

Can you give more details about your setup? Is the rope set to collide against the cubes it is attached to?