Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Obi Cloth works with DOTS PhysicsBody?
Hi, a quick question. From what I understand that Obi Cloth implemented its own version of ECS/DOTS in some way. And ou're not using Unity ECS. Correct me if I'm wrong?
And when creating an Obi RigidBody on an object, it requires an Unity RigidBody on the object as well.
So my question is, if I wanna convert my project into DOTS and I wanna use DOTS PhysicsBody instead of old RigidBody. I guess that won't work with Obi cloth?

Please advice thx Gran sonrisa
(20-01-2022, 12:17 AM)cycle6 Wrote: Hi, a quick question. From what I understand that Obi Cloth implemented its own version of ECS/DOTS in some way. And ou're not using Unity ECS. Correct me if I'm wrong?
And when creating an Obi RigidBody on an object, it requires an Unity RigidBody on the object as well.
So my question is, if I wanna convert my project into DOTS and I wanna use DOTS PhysicsBody instead of old RigidBody. I guess that won't work with Obi cloth?

Please advice thx Gran sonrisa

Hi there!

Short answer: No, Obi is not compatible with Unity DOTS Physics. You need to use Unity rigidbodies and colliders.

Long answer: though many people use ECS and DOTS interchangeably, they are different things. DOTS = Burst + Jobs + ECS.
Obi uses Burst and Jobs, but implements it own ECS system on top of GameObjects. This is because Unity's ECS is not widely adopted yet, most projects use GameObjects and the built-in physics system (PhysX).

Adding support for Unity Physics/Havok is something I have on the to-do list, but won't probably get to it until they are more widely adopted.

kind regards,
(20-01-2022, 10:44 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there!

Short answer: No, Obi is not compatible with Unity DOTS Physics. You need to use Unity rigidbodies and colliders.

Long answer: though many people use ECS and DOTS interchangeably, they are different things. DOTS = Burst + Jobs + ECS.
Obi uses Burst and Jobs, but implements it own ECS system on top of GameObjects. This is because Unity's ECS is not widely adopted yet, most projects use GameObjects and the built-in physics system (PhysX).

Adding support for Unity Physics/Havok is something I have on the to-do list, but won't probably get to it until they are more widely adopted.

kind regards,

Thx M8.
Yeah we're not really in a rush to change to DOTS. But we're making a very physics (calculation) heavy game. We're just exploring our options on physics optimization. We'll try figure out something else. Sonrisa