Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to make flat rope/Extruding rope
Hi everyone, I was wondering how I can make a flat rope or a compressed rope. I want it to look like a flatter shape throughout the rope. I read that one other use used ObiRopeMeshRenderer, but I'm not sure how this changes the look of the rope.

Secondly, does anyone know if there is a way to get the rope completely laid down while it is being extruded with the ObiCursor? Whenever it is getting pulled by my other game object, it comes with it instead of laying down on the ground. Does this have to do with colliders or certain points along the rope? Or does this just kind of happen, and I should just make a longer rope. 

Thank you!
(30-12-2021, 04:05 AM)ajjack13 Wrote: Hi everyone, I was wondering how I can make a flat rope or a compressed rope. I want it to look like a flatter shape throughout the rope. I read that one other use used ObiRopeMeshRenderer, but I'm not sure how this changes the look of the rope.

Secondly, does anyone know if there is a way to get the rope completely laid down while it is being extruded with the ObiCursor? Whenever it is getting pulled by my other game object, it comes with it instead of laying down on the ground. Does this have to do with colliders or certain points along the rope? Or does this just kind of happen, and I should just make a longer rope. 

Thank you!

Hi!

It’s not clear what you mean by a “flat” rope. Do you mean flat on the floor? Or are you referring to the shape of the rope cross section?

Also, not sure what you mean by getting the rope “laid down when extruded”. Cursors simply make the rope longer or shorter, will not affect physics.
(30-12-2021, 07:19 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!

It’s not clear what you mean by a “flat” rope. Do you mean flat on the floor? Or are you referring to the shape of the rope cross section?

Also, not sure what you mean by getting the rope “laid down when extruded”. Cursors simply make the rope longer or shorter, will not affect physics.

Hi again!
I am referring to the shape of the rope cross-section. 

For the second piece, I have another moving object that is basically pulling the rope when the cursor is making the rope longer. At some point, it stops making it longer and just continues to pull the rope along with it, which then makes it no longer sit on the ground. I was wondering if there is a way that I can make the rope stay on the ground when the cursor is no longer making it longer, so it doesn't pull it up from the ground. What I'm thinking is that this is just physics that I can't really find my way around, and will need to find why the cursor stops. 

Thanks so much!
(30-12-2021, 07:52 PM)ajjack13 Wrote: Hi again!
I am referring to the shape of the rope cross-section. 

You can use any cross-section you like, the default one is a circle but you can create your own ObiRopeSection asset. See:

http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...modes.html

Just right click in any folder: create->obi->rope section. Then select it and edit it in the inspector. Note that this only affects rendering, the rope will still be a chain of spherical particles as far as physics interaction goes.

Quote:For the second piece, I have another moving object that is basically pulling the rope when the cursor is making the rope longer. At some point, it stops making it longer and just continues to pull the rope along with it, which then makes it no longer sit on the ground. I was wondering if there is a way that I can make the rope stay on the ground when the cursor is no longer making it longer, so it doesn't pull it up from the ground. What I'm thinking is that this is just physics that I can't really find my way around, and will need to find why the cursor stops. 

Sounds like your blueprint simply ran out of particles. Particles are preallocated by the blueprint, just increase its pool size. this will allow cursors and tearing to create more particles. See “pooled particles” in the blueprints manual page:

http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...setup.html