Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Added particles through cursor ChangeLength seem to freeze in place.
Sorry if this has been answered but I couldn't find a thread with a similar issue. 

I'm trying to dynamically increase a ropes particles as it's stretched past a certain threshold. The rope has an attachment either end and as I pull them apart, I want new particles added, but when the new particles are added they appear to just stick in place and have no physics to them.

I test this by adding length over time with a simple line of code:

cursor.ChangeLength((rope.restLength) + 1 * Time.deltaTime);

Yet I was getting the same results as shown in the video below.

(29-12-2021, 12:18 PM)ZhadoTom Wrote: Sorry if this has been answered but I couldn't find a thread with a similar issue. 

I'm trying to dynamically increase a ropes particles as it's stretched past a certain threshold. The rope has an attachment either end and as I pull them apart, I want new particles added, but when the new particles are added they appear to just stick in place and have no physics to them.

I test this by adding length over time with a simple line of code:

cursor.ChangeLength((rope.restLength) + 1 * Time.deltaTime);

Yet I was getting the same results as shown in the video below.

Hi!

Just make sure the source of the cursor is not set to a part of the rope that’s fixed. Cursors work by copying particles from a source position along the rope, and “pasting” them at the cursor location. Seems like your cursor’s source is a fixed or attached particle.

See “source mu” in the manual page:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...ursor.html
(29-12-2021, 04:04 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!

Just make sure the source of the cursor is not set to a part of the rope that’s fixed. Cursors work by copying particles from a source position along the rope, and “pasting” them at the cursor location. Seems like your cursor’s source is a fixed or attached particle.

See “source mu” in the manual page:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...ursor.html

Thanks! I had to set the attachments to dynamic and that solved it.
(29-12-2021, 05:04 PM)ZhadoTom Wrote: Thanks! I had to set the attachments to dynamic and that solved it.

That’s also a solution, but you might still want the attachment to be static (depending on the behavior you’re after). If that’s the case, changing the cursor source is a better approach.

Cheers!