Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Softbody problems
Hello, I decided to try some sample scenes today, but got several problems out of the box.
In FullBodyVolumetricSoftbody scene i decide to edit blueprint and changed shape analysis resolution. Any other number that 72 gives me extreme results.
Do I need to find right number to every model? 
In ElasticCharacter demo I got some problem from the start. It looks like painting weights problem, but I couldn't repaint this places in the blueprint.
Completely repainting weight is also a problem. When I decided to paint a leg it paints in all other places like hand and head etc..
Maybe there some problem with my unity version? Or the ElasticCharacter demo supposed to work like that?
I'm using 2021.2.1f1 version.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi there!

(14-12-2021, 12:53 PM)aqualonix Wrote: In FullBodyVolumetricSoftbody scene i decide to edit blueprint and changed shape analysis resolution. Any other number that 72 gives me extreme results.
Do I need to find right number to every model? 

What do you mean exactly by "extreme" results? tried several values ranging from 16 to 128 and they all give reasonable results. Shape analysis only affects particle anisotropy (shape and orientation), particle placement will not be affected by it. Here's the results with resolution 32 and 96:

[Image: OJSLqtM.png]
[Image: Q1RYkLS.png]

Keep in mind that after you modify the particle representation of a softbody, you need to re-bind any existing skins to it. This means you need to go to the ObiSoftbodySkinner component and click "bind skin", otherwise the skin data that's serialized will not match up with the current blueprint. See:

http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...inner.html

Quote:
Quote:If you re-generate the softbody blueprint but do not re-bind the skin, skinning will look incorrect. You want to Generate the blueprint first, then Bind the skinner, in that order.

(14-12-2021, 12:53 PM)aqualonix Wrote: Do I need to find right number to every model? 

Of course, that's why they are parameters! Sonrisa Otherwise everything would just be hardcoded. Same as you need to find the right parameters for light mapping any given model in Unity and many other things, you do for making a softbody.

You do need to find the right number for each model but this is not guesswork: you need to understand how sampling works and what the needs for your mesh are, based on that you'll get a pretty good idea of what values to use. The manual goes into details about what each parameter and sampling mode does:

http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...setup.html

Quote:In ElasticCharacter demo I got some problem from the start. It looks like painting weights problem, but I couldn't repaint this places in the blueprint.
Completely repainting weight is also a problem. When I decided to paint a leg it paints in all other places like hand and head etc..

Do you mean painting skin weights using the ObiSoftbodySkinner component, right? As far as I can tell this works fine, painting the legs paints the legs, etc. Can you share a video/screenshot of the problem?
(14-12-2021, 01:48 PM)josemendez Wrote: Of course, that's why they are parameters! Sonrisa Otherwise everything would just be hardcoded. Same as you need to find the right parameters for light mapping any given model in Unity and many other things, you do for making a softbody.

You do need to find the right number for each model but this is not guesswork: you need to understand how sampling works and what the needs for your mesh are, based on that you'll get a pretty good idea of what values to use. The manual goes into details about what each parameter and sampling mode does:

Well, I know that i need to tweak it.  Gran sonrisa 
I wasn't rebinding mesh, so thats why it only worked with previous sampling number. Thank you for pointing me.
However I cant get editing particles right.
In first screenshot I selected all particles on the hand.
Then I switched their property "collides with" to nothing.
You can see on the second screenshot that property changed on other non-selected areas.
It happens with painting mode as well.

There is another question, I tried painting influence in obi softbody skinner, but nothing seems to appear after I click the button. Am I missing something?

(14-12-2021, 02:30 PM)aqualonix Wrote: Well, I know that i need to tweak it.  Gran sonrisa 
I wasn't rebinding mesh, so thats why it only worked with previous sampling number. Thank you for pointing me.
However I cant get editing particles right.
In first screenshot I selected all particles on the hand.
Then I switched their property "collides with" to nothing.
You can see on the second screenshot that property changed on other non-selected areas.
It happens with painting mode as well.

If you're on 2021 or up, Unity has changed the way meshes are imported and vertex ordering no longer matches the one in 2020 (just to make it fun for everyone, I guess Indeciso ). This means that meshes made in 2020 or older do not import the same way in 2021, which affects the included sample scenes - which are made in 2019.3.

Simply re-generating the blueprint by clicking "Generate" should fix that, since the new vertex ordering will be used instead of the 2019-2020 one. If particles were removed (like in the elastic character blueprint) you will have to remove them after clicking Generate since that resets particle layout.

(14-12-2021, 02:30 PM)aqualonix Wrote: There is another question, I tried painting influence in obi softbody skinner, but nothing seems to appear after I click the button. Am I missing something?

The mesh should turn black/white, and a painting brush will appear on your mouse cursor (if you have gizmos enabled in the scene view).

Let me know if I can be of further help!
(14-12-2021, 03:09 PM)josemendez Wrote: If you're on 2021 or up, Unity has changed the way meshes are imported and vertex ordering no longer matches the one in 2020 (just to make it fun for everyone, I guess Indeciso ). This means that meshes made in 2020 or older do not import the same way in 2021, which affects the included sample scenes - which are made in 2019.3.

Simply re-generating the blueprint by clicking "Generate" should fix that, since the new vertex ordering will be used instead of the 2019-2020 one. If particles were removed (like in the elastic character blueprint) you will have to remove them after clicking Generate since that resets particle layout.

The mesh should turn black/white, and a painting brush will appear on your mouse cursor (if you have gizmos enabled in the scene view).

Let me know if I can be of further help!

Well, I regenerated blueprint again, but as you can see when brush hovers on the arms it selects another parts.
Also tried absolutely new blueprint, but it doesn't show me the mesh in render mode (on dx 12 and dx 11 too). 

About painting brush, I cant get it to work in hdrp dx12, but when I changed project to builtin dx11 it works, it looks like there is some shader incompatibility.

(14-12-2021, 04:17 PM)aqualonix Wrote: Well, I regenerated blueprint again, but as you can see when brush hovers on the arms it selects another parts.
Also tried absolutely new blueprint, but it doesn't show me the mesh in render mode (on dx 12 and dx 11 too).

Hi!

I was able to reproduce this when using HDRP in 2021.2.1f1, not reproducible using built-in or SRPs in older versions. Will fix and provide a patch asap.
Seems like this is the same Unity bug as the one discussed here:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/forum...ght=gizmos

Quote:2021.2 seems to have a great deal of issues regarding scene view rendering and gizmos/handles, it's just broken. In my case, I can't even see the regular rotate/translate/scale handles at random. Unity's forums are littered with posts about this right now:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/transofr...n.1198375/
https://forum.unity.com/threads/fully-br...2.1198165/
https://forum.unity.com/threads/2021-2-2...e.1197964/
https://forum.unity.com/threads/handles-...k.1196815/
https://forum.unity.com/threads/transfor...2.1197313/

Obi makes heavy use of Unity's scene window / handle API, so it's affected by this. Apparently they're fixing it for 2021.2.3. If time is an issue, I'd just revert back to a working version for a while.

Unity 2021.2.1 has issues drawing gizmos (even the built-in rotate/translate/scale gizmos), and this seems to also affect drawing meshes from an editor script.

Updating to Unity 2021.2.3f1 fixes it, let me know otherwise.
(14-12-2021, 04:58 PM)josemendez Wrote: Seems like this is the same Unity bug as the one discussed here:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/forum...ght=gizmos

Unity 2021.2.1 has issues drawing gizmos (even the built-in rotate/translate/scale gizmos), and this seems to also affect drawing meshes from an editor script.

Updating to Unity 2021.2.3f1 fixes it, let me know otherwise.
Hello, updating unity fixes bug with paint influence mode in obi sofbody skinner