Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sample scene FBVS error: Unsupported conversion of vertex data
Hi,

I just load the sample FullBodyVolumetricSoftBody, and hit the play button, but it shows: 

Unsupported conversion of vertex data (format 0 to 4, dimensions 4 to 4)
UnityEngine.Mesh:SetBoneWeights (Unity.Collections.NativeArray`1<byte>,Unity.Collections.NativeArray`1<UnityEngine.BoneWeight1>)

Unity ver:2020.3 lts
Burst:1.5.6
Collections: 1.0.0-pre.6
Jobs: 0.11.0-preview.6

Please help!
Thanks!
(27-11-2021, 04:28 PM)xxxh123 Wrote: Hi,

I just load the sample FullBodyVolumetricSoftBody, and hit the play button, but it shows: 

Unsupported conversion of vertex data (format 0 to 4, dimensions 4 to 4)
UnityEngine.Mesh:SetBoneWeights (Unity.Collections.NativeArray`1<byte>,Unity.Collections.NativeArray`1<UnityEngine.BoneWeight1>)

Unity ver:2020.3 lts
Burst:1.5.6
Collections: 1.0.0-pre.6
Jobs: 0.11.0-preview.6

Please help!
Thanks!

Hi there,

This error is thrown by Unity because your project does not support more than 4 skinning weights per vertex. Either enable them in your project settings, or set the "Max bones per vertex" property in the ObiSoftbodySKinner and click "Bind skin". Note this will reduce skinning quality.

See the manual:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...inner.html

Quote:Max Bones per Vertex: Maximum amount of bones that can influence a single vertex.

Note that by default, Unity supports only up to 4 bones per vertex. You need to configure your settings to allow for more than 4 bones, otherwise Unity will throw an error at runtime when this property is set higher than 4.
Hi,

I just tried both ways, but it still does not work.

my procedures will be described as follow:
1. First way by changing the project setting: in project setting, Quality -> Other -> Skin Weights, from 4 to Unlimited
2. Another way by modifying the parameters in SoftBodySkinner: The "Max Bones Per Vertex" is 16 by default, I change to 32 or more. Nothing changes.

When I try 2nd approach, I also tried the project setting with or without skin weights = 4

Thanks!
(29-11-2021, 02:28 PM)xxxh123 Wrote: 2. Another way by modifying the parameters in SoftBodySkinner: The "Max Bones Per Vertex" is 16 by default, I change to 32 or more. Nothing changes.

Make sure you reduce the value to 4 or less (not 32, that's the opposite of what you want), then press the "Bind Skin" button afterwards. If you just change the max bones per vertex value without rebinding the skin, of course nothing will change.
Thanks, It works!

So solely change the project setting will not do the trick?
(29-11-2021, 03:45 PM)xxxh123 Wrote: Thanks, It works!

So solely change the project setting will not do the trick?

It should too! I will try to reproduce this and get back to you.
(29-11-2021, 03:47 PM)josemendez Wrote: It should too! I will try to reproduce this and get back to you.

So the project seems running fine after change the project setting but still get that error at beginning, what could the problem?
(01-12-2021, 06:31 PM)obitester Wrote: So the project seems running fine after change the project setting but still get that error at beginning, what could the problem?

Hi there!

I'm unable to reproduce this, the error should just go away after enabling support for more than 4 weights. This error is thrown internally by Unity, Obi does not check whether the amount of weights used is supported or not: it just passes them to Unity using the SetBoneWeights function, it's up to Unity to determine if they can be used or not.

If the scene is running correctly with more than 4 weights but Unity is complaining that more than 4 is too much, that looks like a Unity bug Indeciso . Can you share the Unity version you're using so that I can reproduce it and file a bug report? Thanks!
(02-12-2021, 08:56 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there!

I'm unable to reproduce this, the error should just go away after enabling support for more than 4 weights. This error is thrown internally by Unity, Obi does not check whether the amount of weights used is supported or not: it just passes them to Unity using the SetBoneWeights function, it's up to Unity to determine if they can be used or not.

If the scene is running correctly with more than 4 weights but Unity is complaining that more than 4 is too much, that looks like a Unity bug  Indeciso . Can you share the Unity version you're using so that I can reproduce it and file a bug report? Thanks!

I'm currently working in: Unity 2020.3.24.f1, still get this error at beginning inside of editor
(09-12-2021, 03:15 PM)obitester Wrote: I'm currently working in: Unity 2020.3.24.f1, still get this error at beginning inside of editor

I'm in Unity 2021.2.14f1 and getting this error. I have bones set to Unlimited in Project Settings, and the FullBodyVolumetricSoftBody demo throws the error as is (with the demo's 16 bones set in the SoftBody Skinner). In my own project, I have my Skinned Mesh character using only 4 bones in the SoftBody Skinner, and still get the error (yes, after clicking"bind skin").

For the record, my character isn't animating properly either, although without Obi Softbody on her she works just fine. Once I add Soft Body, she just stands there in a T-Pose. Still trying to work that out, but leaving that info here in case it's related to the bones issue.