Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paper (bank note) simulation
Hi,

First of all would like to say that your assets are awesome.
Before purchasing the Cloth I would like to clarify, would it be possible to create a bank note simulation using that asset? It should band only by 1 axis.
(18-11-2021, 10:45 AM)Romahaaa Wrote: Hi,

First of all would like to say that your assets are awesome.
Before purchasing the Cloth I would like to clarify, would it be possible to create a bank note simulation using that asset? It should band only by 1 axis.

Thanks!

Yes it's possible. Create a mesh that only has subdivisions across the axis you want to bend, and the cloth will only be able to bend that way.

However this only makes sense if the physics of each individual note are important in your game. For instance, if you're planning to use bank notes as confetti - particle systems will do a much better job at simulating large numbers of them.
(18-11-2021, 12:23 PM)josemendez Wrote: However this only makes sense if the physics of each individual note are important in your game. For instance, if you're planning to use bank notes as confetti - particle systems will do a much better job at simulating large numbers of them.
I will need it for single bank note simulation - the user should be able to drag it from different sides and band it. This also means that need to change the constrain point runtime (exactly where user selected it). Furthermore, this should run smoothly on mobile... Is everything mentioned still possible?
(18-11-2021, 12:40 PM)Romahaaa Wrote: I will need it for single bank note simulation - the user should be able to drag it from different sides and band it. This also means that need to change the constrain point runtime (exactly where user selected it). Furthermore, this should run smoothly on mobile... Is everything mentioned still possible?

Yes, entirely possible. A single note will have barely any impact on performance. You can also pick cloth from any particle on it.
Perfect, thanks.  Guiño
I just get Obi Cloth asset and started with the demo scenes...
Unfortunately, I found couple of issues:
1. not all Obi your materials can be converted by URP 12.x.x converter. But this not a big problem, just a note that would be great if you add some additional URP migration package 
2. almost each scene has a missing script error . Looks like not all the dependencies loaded...but.. I am on 2021.2.2 where not possible to add Collections & Jobs packages using Unity Package Manager. I am not sure, but aren't they embedded to 2021.2.2 by default? If so, ObiSolver can't recognize it.
I checked the Cloth in 2019.4, and after installing all required packages everything works fine
(18-11-2021, 12:23 PM)josemendez Wrote: Thanks!

Yes it's possible. Create a mesh that only has subdivisions across the axis you want to bend, and the cloth will only be able to bend that way.

However this only makes sense if the physics of each individual note are important in your game. For instance, if you're planning to use bank notes as confetti - particle systems will do a much better job at simulating large numbers of them.

Btw, what exactly did you mean here? Cloth (bank note mesh) blueprint? Or something else?
(20-11-2021, 07:16 AM)Romahaaa Wrote: 1. not all Obi your materials can be converted by URP 12.x.x converter. But this not a big problem, just a note that would be great if you add some additional URP migration package

Obi Cloth doesn't use or need any custom materials/shaders (except for a sample material for vertex colors, used in the trampoline scene) everything uses the Standard shader so Unity should be able to convert them. If it isn't, you can just manually select the URP Lit shader for everything.

(20-11-2021, 07:16 AM)Romahaaa Wrote: 2. almost each scene has a missing script error . Looks like not all the dependencies loaded...but.. I am on 2021.2.2 where not possible to add Collections & Jobs packages using Unity Package Manager. I am not sure, but aren't they embedded to 2021.2.2 by default? If so, ObiSolver can't recognize it.

This is because the default backend used by all sample scenes Burst (see backends). If you don't have the Burst backend dependencies installed, the BurstCollisionWorld object in these scenes will have a missing script - because it cannot be compiled without the proper packages installed.

You need to install the correct packages. The manual specifies package names and versions to install:
  • Burst 1.3.3 or newer
  • Collections 0.8.0-preview 5 or newer
  • Mathematics 1.0.1 or newer
  • Jobs 0.2.9-preview.15 or newer

Some of these are preview packages, preview packages are only shown if you enable them in the package manager. See:
https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/pack-preview.html

If you still can't find them, you can look for them by URL, using the "Add Packages from git URL" option in the "+" sign at the top left corner of the manager then typing their names, for instance:

com.unity.collections
com.unity.jobs
(20-11-2021, 07:16 AM)Romahaaa Wrote: Btw, what exactly did you mean here? Cloth (bank note mesh) blueprint? Or something else?

I meant the mesh used to generate the cloth blueprint.
(22-11-2021, 08:48 AM)josemendez Wrote: If you still can't find them, you can look for them by URL, using the "Add Packages from git URL" option in the "+" sign at the top left corner of the manager then typing their names, for instance:

com.unity.collections
com.unity.jobs

For some reason in Unity 2021.2.x these packages were removed completely from UPM, and the only way was to add it the way you described or manually in manifest. This problem solved, thanks.

Quote:I meant the mesh used to generate the cloth blueprint.

Well, I checked all you sample scenes and watched the videos and seems still need you help, because I can't get how to setup the bending I need.
Here is the example - the dollar should bend along the X axis similar to red lines shapes. As I said before, Y axis should be constant. 
I created the model and here is it's blueprint.
I couldn't make the result I need using any of the tutorial you provided. Should I create some custom tethering groups to each particle?
I don't even say a word about how would it be possible to "pick" the note at exact point while I don't have any vertex in the mesh in the middle of the bank note.