Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to attach softbody particles together in the newest version
I came across this post http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/forum...-1205.html, which was posted two years ago, and it says the best method to use is Distance Constraint.

I want to know is that still the way to go for attaching two softbodies together.

And if I want to attach particles within the same softbody, should I also use Distance Constraint?

How will it behave differently if I create a arbitrary Unity Rigidbody as an "anchor" then attach both particles to it using Pin Constraint?
(09-11-2021, 05:38 PM)snowtv Wrote: I came across this post http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/forum...-1205.html, which was posted two years ago, and it says the best method to use is Distance Constraint.

I want to know is that still the way to go for attaching two softbodies together.

Depends on what you need to do. If you want to attach softbodies at a fixed distance from each other, use distance constraints.

If you want to attach them tightly together (overlapping particles), use stitch constraints. In this case, there's an editor tool which you can use to create stitch constraints manually: ObiStitcher.

(09-11-2021, 05:38 PM)snowtv Wrote: And if I want to attach particles within the same softbody, should I also use Distance Constraint?

Doesn't matter if the particles belong to the same or different softbodies. At the end of the day, particles are particles.

(09-11-2021, 05:38 PM)snowtv Wrote: How will it behave differently if I create a arbitrary Unity Rigidbody as an "anchor" then attach both particles to it using Pin Constraint?

A rigidbody is an entity of its own, with its own mass, inertia tensor, linear and angular velocities. Attaching two particles to a rigidbody will generally behave in a different way to attaching two particles directly to each other, specially if the rigidbody mass is comparable or larger than the mass of the particles: Glueing two tennis balls to each other isn't the same as glueing them to a truck (rigidbody).
(10-11-2021, 10:06 AM)josemendez Wrote: Depends on what you need to do. If you want to attach softbodies at a fixed distance from each other, use distance constraints.

If you want to attach them tightly together (overlapping particles), use stitch constraints. In this case, there's an editor tool which you can use to create stitch constraints manually: ObiStitcher.

Doesn't matter if the particles belong to the same or different softbodies. At the end of the day, particles are particles.

A rigidbody is an entity of its own, with its own mass, inertia tensor, linear and angular velocities. Attaching two particles to a rigidbody will generally behave in a different way to attaching two particles directly to each other, specially if the rigidbody mass is comparable or larger than the mass of the particles: Glueing two tennis balls to each other isn't the same as glueing them to a truck (rigidbody).

Thanks! I think I will try Stitch Constraint first. Is it easy to create Stitch Constraint in script to be ran in runtime?