Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
possible to create kite ?
I have used the parachute demo as a base of reference for what I am trying to do.

I have what would be considered a kite - large sheet, psudo round(photo attached).

I have tried so many different ways to make this thing behave sort of like a kite.  Like blowing wind into it while its attached to various things(including itself).

One of my experiments is in the photo.

So am I approaching this all wrong because I can't get any of it to work.  Either it sort of floats like a kite but twists and gets messed up or it ends up in what looks like a pool of debris on the ground.

I have been attacking this for weeks now.  I would appreciate any and all opinions or if I should change direction completely.  I just need it to look like a kite - not really fly like one(I can make it fly).

I am now considering using obi-fluid and somehow proxying a mesh to another for the effect.

I don't want to give up but am just about out of ideas.

Thanks,

David

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(07-11-2021, 10:13 PM)dswigger Wrote: I have used the parachute demo as a base of reference for what I am trying to do.

I have what would be considered a kite - large sheet, psudo round(photo attached).

I have tried so many different ways to make this thing behave sort of like a kite.  Like blowing wind into it while its attached to various things(including itself).

One of my experiments is in the photo.

I'm not an expert on kites (this kind of kite are the ones used for kitesurfing right?) but this should be possible to do. Kites have a semi-rigid structure that keeps their shape (struts) and additionally they're filled with air, making them behave quite like a balloon:

https://www.surfertoday.com/kiteboarding...rding-kite

Quote:So am I approaching this all wrong because I can't get any of it to work. Either it sort of floats like a kite but twists and gets messed up or it ends up in what looks like a pool of debris on the ground.

Kites like this one have quite high bending resistance, and behave closer to a wing than a kite. You'll need to put emphasis on bend constraints to prevent the mesh to fold and crumple onto itself. Right now it sounds like the main issue with your kite is it's way too flexible, so use more substeps and spend more iterations on bend constraints.

(07-11-2021, 10:13 PM)dswigger Wrote: I have been attacking this for weeks now.  I would appreciate any and all opinions or if I should change direction completely.  I just need it to look like a kite - not really fly like one(I can make it fly).

Once this behaves like a kite at rest, making it fly should be straightforward. Obi uses a thin-foil model for aerodynamics that's very well suited for wings.

(07-11-2021, 10:13 PM)dswigger Wrote: I am now considering using obi-fluid and somehow proxying a mesh to another for the effect.

Obi Fluid is meant to simulate water, paint, oil and other liquids, I fail to see how it would help in simulating a kite.

If you could share a video of your current results and some more information about your setup I would be able to help you further. If its possible, even sharing a scene/project with anything you currently have would be nice. You can send any of it to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com.

cheers,
(08-11-2021, 08:48 AM)josemendez Wrote: I'm not an expert on kites (this kind of kite are the ones used for kitesurfing right?) but this should be possible to do. Kites have a semi-rigid structure that keeps their shape (struts) and additionally they're filled with air, making them behave quite like a balloon:

https://www.surfertoday.com/kiteboarding...rding-kite

Kites like this one have quite high bending resistance, and behave closer to a wing than a kite. You'll need to put emphasis on bend constraints to prevent the mesh to fold and crumple onto itself. Right now it sounds like the main issue with your kite is it's way too flexible, so use more substeps and spend more iterations on bend constraints.

Once this behaves like a kite at rest, making it fly should be straightforward. Obi uses a thin-foil model for aerodynamics that's very well suited for wings.

Obi Fluid is meant to simulate water, paint, oil and other liquids, I fail to see how it would help in simulating a kite.

If you could share a video of your current results and some more information about your setup I would be able to help you further. If its possible, even sharing a scene/project with anything you currently have would be nice. You can send any of it to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com.

cheers,

Thank you very much for the input.  Yesterday I rebuilt the geometry and had some positive results.  I will continue with this direction.  The only reason I threw out fluids was desperation.