Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confused about how the Obi Stitcher Interface works
I am attempting to use Obi Stitcher component. I saw these instructions in a different thread...

Assuming you want to use the stitcher in the editor, and not at runtime (or "play" mode), these are the steps to take:
1.- Add a ObiStitcher component to any game object.
2.- Put the first actor you want to use into the "First actor" slot.
3.- Put the second actor into the "Second actor" slot. Both actors can be the same one, in case you want to stitch a piece of cloth to itself.
4.- Click "Edit" in the stitcher inspector and drag the sewing tool that appears in the scene view so that its ends are roughly over the vertices you want to stitch. Then click on "Add Stitch" in the inspector to sew them together.

1. I did add the component to a game object
2. Added the first actor to a slot
3. Added the second actor to a slot
4. But when click Edit I don't see any change in the scene view. I don't see a sewing tool. If a click Add Stitch I see a dashed green line that I cannot select or modify.

Please let me know if there is something I am missing
(06-10-2021, 06:50 PM)SpencerIO Wrote: I am attempting to use Obi Stitcher component. I saw these instructions in a different thread...

Assuming you want to use the stitcher in the editor, and not at runtime (or "play" mode), these are the steps to take:
1.- Add a ObiStitcher component to any game object.
2.- Put the first actor you want to use into the "First actor" slot.
3.- Put the second actor into the "Second actor" slot. Both actors can be the same one, in case you want to stitch a piece of cloth to itself.
4.- Click "Edit" in the stitcher inspector and drag the sewing tool that appears in the scene view so that its ends are roughly over the vertices you want to stitch. Then click on "Add Stitch" in the inspector to sew them together.

1. I did add the component to a game object
2. Added the first actor to a slot
3. Added the second actor to a slot
4. But when click Edit I don't see any change in the scene view. I don't see a sewing tool. If a click Add Stitch I see a dashed green line that I cannot select or modify.

Please let me know if there is something I am missing

Not in front of the computer rn, but this might help:

Make sure your scene view has the “Gizmos” button enabled. If I recall correctly, the sewing tool is a gizmo, and as such it won’t appear if they are disabled.
Thank you for your quick reply.

I think I may have misinterpreted how the sewing tool is used. I can see the Gizmo now when I put it on an empty object.

[Image: stitcher-gizmo.png]

When I move the stitcher component game object to the vertice that I want to sew and Hit add stitch, it appears as if the stitch happens at the bottom of the cloth.
[Image: stitcher-dashline.png]
At runtime that is where the cloth attracts.
[Image: stitcher-attract.png]

How do you choose which vertices are sewn?
(06-10-2021, 08:52 PM)SpencerIO Wrote: Thank you for your quick reply.

I think I may have misinterpreted how the sewing tool is used. I can see the Gizmo now when I put it on an empty object.

[Image: stitcher-gizmo.png]

When I move the stitcher component game object to the vertice that I want to sew and Hit add stitch, it appears as if the stitch happens at the bottom of the cloth.
[Image: stitcher-dashline.png]
At runtime that is where the cloth attracts.
[Image: stitcher-attract.png]

How do you choose which vertices are sewn?

There should be a white tool visible in the scene view, which is two white squares joined by a dashed line. You’re supposed to place the squares where you want the cloth to be sticthed, when placing a stitch it is added between the two vertices closest to the squares.

This should definitely be visible as long as gizmos are enabled, (and the stitcher component is unfolded in the inspector! unity will not draw gizmos for folded/hidden components). Otherwise let me know and I’ll take a look first thing tomorrow morning.
You are indeed correct. Have a good evening

[Image: stitched.png]