Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bug / Crash  "ObjectDisposedException" in cloth objects on scene startup in Unity 2020.3.16f1
After upgrading to Unity 2020.3.16f1 (from 2020.3.15), many of my ObiCloth objects have recently started throwing this error when entering Play Mode:

Code:
ObjectDisposedException: Cannot access a disposed object.
Object name: 'The NativeArray has been disposed, it is not allowed to access it'.
Unity.Collections.LowLevel.Unsafe.AtomicSafetyHandle.CheckExistsAndThrow (Unity.Collections.LowLevel.Unsafe.AtomicSafetyHandle& handle) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Jobs/AtomicSafetyHandle.bindings.cs:186)
Unity.Collections.LowLevel.Unsafe.AtomicSafetyHandle.ValidateNonDefaultHandle (Unity.Collections.LowLevel.Unsafe.AtomicSafetyHandle& handle) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Jobs/AtomicSafetyHandle.bindings.cs:175)
Unity.Collections.NativeArray`1[T].get_Length () (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/NativeArray/NativeArray.cs:117)
Obi.BurstColliderCollisionConstraints.GetConstraintCount () (at Assets/ThirdParty/Obi/Scripts/Common/Backends/Burst/Constraints/ColliderCollision/BurstColliderCollisionConstraints.cs:27)
Obi.BurstSolverImpl.GetConstraintCount (Oni+ConstraintType type) (at Assets/ThirdParty/Obi/Scripts/Common/Backends/Burst/Solver/BurstSolverImpl.cs:405)
Obi.ObiSolver.EndStep (System.Single substepTime) (at Assets/ThirdParty/Obi/Scripts/Common/Solver/ObiSolver.cs:1577)
Obi.ObiUpdater.EndStep (System.Single substepDeltaTime) (at Assets/ThirdParty/Obi/Scripts/Common/Updaters/ObiUpdater.cs:92)
Obi.ObiLateFixedUpdater.LateFixedUpdate () (at Assets/ThirdParty/Obi/Scripts/Common/Updaters/ObiLateFixedUpdater.cs:67)
Obi.ObiLateFixedUpdater+<RunLateFixedUpdate>d__6.MoveNext () (at Assets/ThirdParty/Obi/Scripts/Common/Updaters/ObiLateFixedUpdater.cs:51)
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Scripting/Coroutines.cs:17)

Sometimes this is seemingly harmless, and sometimes it results in, for example, my main character's gown being frozen in place:

If I manually disable and re-enable the cloth's `ObiLateFixedUpdater` component at runtime, the cloth simulates properly.

I'm not sure what triggered this - I just updated to Obi 6.2 (from 6.1), and also updated to Burst 1.5.6 (from 1.5.5), but rolling back both of those changes doesn't solve the issue. EDIT: Aha - this was triggered by a Unity update. In Unity 2020.3.15f2, I don't get this error. In Unity 2020.3.16f1 - the most recent LTE release as of today - I do.

(I'm using the Burst backend for Obi.)

Any thoughts on what might be going wrong?
Hi there!

Not been able to reproduce this one, will do some more testing and get back to you. I'm leaving for holidays tomorrow, but if this is a critical issue I can try to squeeze a fix asap.
(19-08-2021, 01:01 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there!

Not been able to reproduce this one, will do some more testing and get back to you. I'm leaving for holidays tomorrow, but if this is a critical issue I can try to squeeze a fix asap.

Cool, thanks! Not a critical issue, I can just stick with the previous version of Unity for the time being. Enjoy your holidays!

(If you're not able to track this down, I can also put together a sample project that demonstrates the error.)
Unity 2020.3.17 was released today, and the problem persists, so it wasn't a one-off with a bad Unity version.
(19-08-2021, 01:01 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there!

Hi Jose - 

This is still an issue for us with Unity 2020.3.19, and it's stopping us from upgrading Unity. Have you had a chance to look at it?

If you're having trouble reproing, I can put together a test case. In certain scenes in this game, it happens 100% of the time.
(24-09-2021, 10:52 PM)timconkling Wrote: Hi Jose - 

This is still an issue for us with Unity 2020.3.19, and it's stopping us from upgrading Unity. Have you had a chance to look at it?

If you're having trouble reproing, I can put together a test case. In certain scenes in this game, it happens 100% of the time.

Hi Tim,

Sorry for the late reply! I've tested on:

- Unity 2020.3.19f1 LTS
- Burst 1.5.4
- Mathematics 1.2.1
- Jobs 0.11.0-preview.6
- Collections 1.0.0-preview.5,

With safety checks enabled, however no errors pop up when running any of the included sample scenes. Also tried a simple scene with just character cloth and collisions (which seems closer to what you have) but still no errors. Building and running a standalone binary also works fine.

If you could send your test case to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com I'd be glad to take a look at it and see if I can find a fix for it.

kind regards,
(27-09-2021, 08:46 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi Tim,

Sorry for the late reply! I've tested on:

- Unity 2020.3.19f1 LTS
- Burst 1.5.4
- Mathematics 1.2.1
- Jobs 0.11.0-preview.6
- Collections 1.0.0-preview.5,

With safety checks enabled, however no errors pop up when running any of the included sample scenes. Also tried a simple scene with just character cloth and collisions (which seems closer to what you have) but still no errors. Building and running a standalone binary also works fine.

If you could send your test case to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com I'd be glad to take a look at it and see if I can find a fix for it.

kind regards,

I have the same issue and have found out that it is pretty simple to reproduce.

No Error:
Rope Solver is inside camera view + Simulate When Invisible (true)
Rope Solver is inside camera view + Simulate When Invisible (false)
Rope Solver is outside camera view + Simulate When Invisible (true)

Error:
Rope Solver is outside camera view + Simulate When Invisible (false)

Unity 2020.3.19
Obi Rope 6.0.1
Burst 1.5.6
Jobs 0.11.0
Collections 1.0.0

Code:
ObjectDisposedException: Cannot access a disposed object.
Object name: 'The NativeArray has been disposed, it is not allowed to access it'.
Unity.Collections.LowLevel.Unsafe.AtomicSafetyHandle.CheckExistsAndThrow (Unity.Collections.LowLevel.Unsafe.AtomicSafetyHandle& handle) (at <ca496b8c93454b2f9b9924292c19379f>:0)
Unity.Collections.LowLevel.Unsafe.AtomicSafetyHandle.ValidateNonDefaultHandle (Unity.Collections.LowLevel.Unsafe.AtomicSafetyHandle& handle) (at <ca496b8c93454b2f9b9924292c19379f>:0)
Unity.Collections.NativeArray`1[T].get_Length () (at <ca496b8c93454b2f9b9924292c19379f>:0)
Obi.BurstColliderCollisionConstraints.GetConstraintCount () (at Assets/Obi/Scripts/Common/Backends/Burst/Constraints/ColliderCollision/BurstColliderCollisionConstraints.cs:27)
Obi.BurstSolverImpl.GetConstraintCount (Oni+ConstraintType type) (at Assets/Obi/Scripts/Common/Backends/Burst/Solver/BurstSolverImpl.cs:406)
Obi.ObiSolver.EndStep (System.Single substepTime) (at Assets/Obi/Scripts/Common/Solver/ObiSolver.cs:1561)
Obi.ObiUpdater.EndStep (System.Single substepDeltaTime) (at Assets/Obi/Scripts/Common/Updaters/ObiUpdater.cs:92)
Obi.ObiFixedUpdater.FixedUpdate () (at Assets/Obi/Scripts/Common/Updaters/ObiFixedUpdater.cs:52)
Hi Mattias! thanks for the additional info, will try and reproduce and get back to you asap.
(28-09-2021, 05:30 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi Mattias! thanks for the additional info, will try and reproduce and get back to you asap.

Thanks for the repro, Mattias - yes, this seems to be the same issue I'm seeing.

In the Obi Cloth "CharacterCloth" sample scene, for example, I rotated the camera to face away from the character, and pressed play:

Hi there,

I was able to reproduce this issue. I'll fix it asap and provide a patch. Thanks to you both for reporting it!