Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Obi Filo using Obi Rope
Hello. 

Is it possible to using Obi Rope for Obi Filo functionality repeating (I mean complex gear mechanisms)? Or I must purchase Filo separately? If yes, is Filo compatible with Rope?
Hi there,

Obi and Filo are two completely independent and unrelated assets.

Obi is a unified particle-based physics engine, it works on its own without the need for any other physics engines or simulations. It can interact with Unity's own physics engine but strictly speaking, does not need it in order to work. It is much bigger and considerably more complex than Filo, and it can simulate a broad range of rope/cable behaviors. However, it's not good enough for some use cases. The cost of simulation grows with rope length (longer ropes are more expensive) so it's not well suited to complex mechanisms where long cables are used.

Filo is a joint-based cable simulation plugin for Unity's own physics engine. It's not a full physics engine (unlike Obi), it can only simulate a very small subset of cable behaviors, but it is very good at what it does. The cost of simulation is independent of cable length, so you can cheaply simulate extremely complex mechanisms with very long cables, that would be impossible to simulate with Obi.

As you can see they're very different assets, tailored for different use cases. They're compatible with each other as they both interact with rigidbodies via impulse exchange, so you can use them together if you need. However they must be purchased separately.
Great! Thank you very much. I will purchase Filo in nearest time