Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick questions
Obi
Does Obi Rope and Obi Softbody and Obi Cloth interact with one another? As in, can a rope squeeze a clothed soft ball?

Filo
Does Filo report how much 'weight' each part of the cable is holding? Could I use it to simulate bridges?
Does Filo depend on game objects? Can it be made using only Entities, or even a completely separate data structure?
Can Filo create 'cable graphs' at runtime? I would use it to let the player create machines. I understand things just clip through the cables.
Are there some sort of "raycast cable" that would let a player select a cable in the above mentioned machines?
(08-07-2021, 01:03 PM)Guedez Wrote: Does Obi Rope and Obi Softbody and Obi Cloth interact with one another? As in, can a rope squeeze a clothed soft ball?

Yes, they're all made of particles and particles collide and interact with each other.

Quote:Does Filo report how much 'weight' each part of the cable is holding?

It reports the impulse applied to each cable section, you can calculate the effective "mass" being held by the cable from that.

Quote:Could I use it to simulate bridges?

Sure Sonrisa

Quote:Does Filo depend on game objects? Can it be made using only Entities, or even a completely separate data structure?

Yes, both Filo and Obi depend on GameObjects. No entity support for either.

Quote:Can Filo create 'cable graphs' at runtime? I would use it to let the player create machines.
Yes, you can create cable graphs at runtime. Cables are just a list of objects, you can dynamically add and remove objects.

Quote:I understand things just clip through the cables.

Unless an object is part of the cable list, yes it will clip trough the cable in Filo. Filo does support cable splitting/merging, which raycasts against objects in the scene and adds/removes them from the cable automatically while maintaining cable tension. This gives the impression that the cable is "colliding" with them. For more details, Filo is based on this research article:
https://matthias-research.github.io/page...Joints.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGdBSGaiuAM

Quote:Are there some sort of "raycast cable" that would let a player select a cable in the above mentioned machines?

Not built-in, you can either create a MeshCollider out of the cable mesh and raycast against that, or rely on ray/line segment distance tests.

kind regards,