Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reducing Bounce/Spring Dampening
Hi,

Im just learning about how to use your Softbody asset, really cool so far!!

Is it possible to increase the dampening of the shape constraint springs? I'm finding it hard to reduce the bounce of a softbody.

I tried using the Solver Dampening, but this is just slowing everything down, including falling speed.

Thanks for any advice!
(29-06-2021, 11:33 AM)captainSoftbody Wrote: Hi,

Im just learning about how to use your Softbody asset, really cool so far!!

Is it possible to increase the dampening of the shape constraint springs? I'm finding it hard to reduce the bounce of a softbody.

I tried using the Solver Dampening, but this is just slowing everything down, including falling speed.

Thanks for any advice!

Hi there!

As an algorithm, shape matching does not allow you to control damping. It is not based on any kind of spring. However, you can use plasticity to achieve a similar effect.

In the future we might add support for rigidbody-based damping, that allows you to damp divergent velocities -instead of global velocities-, while keeping angular and linear actor motion intact.
Ah I see, thanks for the information! I thought it was based on a Mass-Spring-Model.
(29-06-2021, 02:09 PM)captainSoftbody Wrote: Ah I see, thanks for the information! I thought it was based on a Mass-Spring-Model.

No worries Sonrisa. This is the original research article on oriented particle shape matching, the algorithm implemented by Obi:
https://matthias-research.github.io/page...ticles.pdf