Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Obi 6.2 is live
Hi all,

Obi 6.2: Cloth, Rope, Fluid and Softbody are now available in the Asset Store. There's two big changes in 6.2:

1) The collision filtering system has been completely revamped. Phases are no longer used. Categories and Masks have replaced them, allowing you to specify much more complex behavior that was not possible before. This is the same system used by lots other engines (Box2D, Unity Physics, Bullet, etc) so it should be familiar to many of you. See the manual page on collisions for details:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...#filtering

A word of warning: if you're updating from older versions, you will most likely have to re-setup your collision filtering. This means you'll have to specify categories and masks for your actors/colliders.

2) A new spatial queries API has been added. This lets you perform fully parallel & efficient overlap, distance and raycast tests against solvers. See:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...eries.html

A video I recorded while developing this feature:

I've also refactored the manual and included a version dropdown in every page. This lets you select a different version for the current manual page, moving horizontally across versions just like Unity's own online documentation.

Also, wanted to thank fellow Obi user and forum member Hatchling for his valuable input on both collision filtering and the queries API.

As always, any feedback is most welcome. Hope you find 6.2 useful.

kind regards,
(17-06-2021, 09:01 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi

Is Full body volumetric softbody implemented in this version of Obi Softbody?
I'm looking forward to the full body volumetric softbody!

Thank you.
Hi there!

Not yet, I estimate it will ship with either 6.3 or 6.4. I'm working on improving the authoring workflow as much as possible, since currently it is quite complex.

kind regards,
I've been eyeing your compute backend! Looks like it should give quite the performance enhancement if the GPU is underutilized. Any idea how much longer that will take to finish up Sonrisa ?
(17-06-2021, 09:01 AM)josemendez Wrote: Also, wanted to thank fellow Obi user and forum member Hatchling for his valuable input on both collision filtering and the queries API.

Thanks for the shoutout! Gran sonrisa