Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ParticleAttachment freezes softbody
Hey,

Seems like ParticleAttachment not working in some cases. It depends on the mesh from which we are generating blueprint. Some softbodies works well, but other just freezes. The softbody does not respond to PaticleAttachment target object movement. If we remove ParticleAttachment component softbody starts to work as usual.

Update: I added particle renderer and seems like the problem is due to the fact that the mesh is simply not drawn.
(11-06-2021, 01:59 PM)Smrdis Wrote: Hey,

Seems like ParticleAttachment not working in some cases. It depends on the mesh from which we are generating blueprint. Some softbodies works well, but other just freezes. The softbody does not respond to PaticleAttachment target object movement. If we remove ParticleAttachment component softbody starts to work as usual.

Update: I added particle renderer and seems like the problem is due to the fact that the mesh is simply not drawn.

Make sure the SkinnedMeshRenderer’s bounds are correct, otherwise it will (by default) get culled when the bounds get outside the camera.
(11-06-2021, 03:10 PM)josemendez Wrote: Make sure the SkinnedMeshRenderer’s bounds are correct, otherwise it will (by default) get culled when the bounds get outside the camera.
video how it looks: https://yadi.sk/i/0al1bprHP-cTCQ
(11-06-2021, 03:55 PM)Smrdis Wrote: video how it looks: https://yadi.sk/i/0al1bprHP-cTCQ

Looks like the mesh moves together with the softbody transform, but it isn’t skinned to the particles at all.

Try clicking the “bind skin” button in the obisoftbodyskinner component.
(11-06-2021, 03:58 PM)josemendez Wrote: Looks like the mesh moves together with the softbody transform, but it isn’t skinned to the particles at all.

Try clicking the “bind skin” button in the obisoftbodyskinner component.
I tried to bind skin with "bind skin" button, I also tried to do it in runtime and it works to some extent but looks strange. You also can see how everithing works well when i destroy ParticleAttachment and softbody fall down.
(11-06-2021, 04:57 PM)Smrdis Wrote: I tried to bind skin with "bind skin" button, I also tried to do it in runtime and it works to some extent but looks strange. You also can see how everithing works well when i destroy ParticleAttachment and softbody fall down.

Can you specify what do you mean by "works to some extent but looks strange"? Attachments simply set the position of particles, they play no part in rendering. Rendering is done by the SkinnedMeshRenderer component, using the skin weights generated when you click "Bind skin".

Skinning the mesh to the particles is something that must be done when you modify the amount/placement of particles in the blueprint. If you don't, the mesh will rigidly follow the softbody's transform, but it won't deform in any way.

This is the same you do when you create a character in any 3D modeling program: once you're finished with the skeleton you must skin the character mesh to it, otherwise the mesh will follow the skeleton root but arms/legs/etc won't deform together with it.

(11-06-2021, 04:57 PM)Smrdis Wrote: You also can see how everithing works well when i destroy ParticleAttachment and softbody fall down.

It doesn't: the softbody mesh falls because it's following the transform, but the mesh isn't deforming together with particles. This is clearly seen in the video.

If you want, I can take a look at the project. Send it to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com