Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animating rod rest position
(05-05-2021, 11:54 AM)Hakazaba Wrote: The name rope is just an artifact of the object once being a rope, until i changed it to a rod. No idea why its not working on my end then

It's hard to say for sure, could be anything. If you want I can take a look at your project, if you send it to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com.

cheers,
I'm not toooo comfortable with sharing the model im using, and its going to be pretty hard to understand why things are the way they are without it.
Ill mess around with it for a little while and see if i can figure it out myself for now.
(05-05-2021, 04:01 PM)Hakazaba Wrote: I'm not toooo comfortable with sharing the model im using, and its going to be pretty hard to understand why things are the way they are without it.
Ill mess around with it for a little while and see if i can figure it out myself for now.

Sure, let me know if I can be of any help.
Ok, i made a test scene with a single rod being animated and it works fine, but in the scene where i have 8 rods being animated at the same time, the changes show no effect on rest position (simulation otherwise runs without issue using the origional blueprint rest position)

Could 8 of these scripts running at the same time (and using the same solver) somehow conflict? 

Would it be worth me writing a new script to change the darboux vectors of all 8 at the same time?

(in full, the scene has 8 rods being animated and having their rest positions modified, 8 rods that are not being modified, 2 volume baloon obi cloth with obi proxy meshes. I also tried recreating the solver incase that was configured incorrectly with no change)
Tried my own scene, duplicating the rod 8 times and all 8 follow the bone chain. Not sure what could be causing this.

Note: if this is an adult game you're making, and you're hesitant of sharing your setup for this reason, don't be. It's not the first or last time someone uses Obi for this Sonrisa. If there's any other reason why you're not comfortable sharing details I totally understand.
I figured out the problem, i had another script which was going through all the rods in my scene and trying to set their bend and torsion compliance every frame. For some reason that was stopping the darboux vector change from going through

As for why im hesitant, ive been working on stuff around this character for about a year, and itd kill me for it to turn up on some site, selling the model. Its semi adult. But not completely. Im setting up the character for real time motion capture using mediapipe and articulation bodies to be able to interact physically with digital objects, and plan to use them for streaming
(06-05-2021, 09:12 AM)Hakazaba Wrote: I figured out the problem, i had another script which was going through all the rods in my scene and trying to set their bend and torsion compliance every frame. For some reason that was stopping the darboux vector change from going through

Glad you got it working!

When you change torsion compliance using the actor's public properties, all constraint data is copied from the blueprint (which means your darboux vectors will be overwritten with their default values). If you want to change compliances at runtime, you can do so manually just like you change darboux vectors.

(06-05-2021, 09:12 AM)Hakazaba Wrote: As for why im hesitant, ive been working on stuff around this character for about a year, and itd kill me for it to turn up on some site, selling the model. Its semi adult. But not completely. Im setting up the character for real time motion capture using mediapipe and articulation bodies to be able to interact physically with digital objects, and plan to use them for streaming

For future reference, you can get people (including me) to sign a non-disclosure agreement (or NDA) before sharing any sensible information/data. That document holds whoever signed it accountable for their actions in case the information is made public.

let me know if I can be of further help. cheers!
Thank you for helping me get to this point. It might be worth adding some of the functionality ive been using into obi in the future. Im happy to give you the script of this if you wish. The one i wrote for you is slightly wrong (for loop i should start at 1).

The script ive written is a bit messy, but it does a little bit more than just allow rods to be animated. It also generates a rod based on a joint chain automatically having been given the root of that chain, then links all of the joints to follow the particles of the rod. (so you can use a skinned object, like a character's tail) And then with this part, you can animate the physics of that tail if you select the root joint of another chain to copy. Would you like it?
Also, how can i set the position and orientation of the particles to be in the new rest position and orientation? Instead of the rest position of the blueprint
(08-05-2021, 01:04 AM)Hakazaba Wrote: Also, how can i set the position and orientation of the particles to be in the new rest position and orientation? Instead of the rest position of the blueprint

I don't understand the question sorry Triste. At runtime, particles will automatically change their position and orientation according to the simulation. What do you want to accomplish here?