Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  No movement
I believe I have everything set up correctly, but when I press play, there is no motion (physics) applied to the rope.  Does gravity need to be set somewhere within Obi Rope?  The rope during play mode is the same within Scene mode...no motion...rope is stiff.  The image is while in play mode.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(27-04-2021, 08:28 PM)CamperJohn Wrote: I believe I have everything set up correctly, but when I press play, there is no motion (physics) applied to the rope.  Does gravity need to be set somewhere within Obi Rope?  The rope during play mode is the same within Scene mode...no motion...rope is stiff.  The image is while in play mode.

Hi!

Can you describe your setup? Specifically:
- Is there a ObiFixedUpdater component in your scene, and does it reference your solver?
- What’s your solver’s gravity set to?
- What’s your solver’s sleep threshold set to?
Yes, to the solver...attached are its settings.  And thanks for such a quick response.

(27-04-2021, 08:39 PM)CamperJohn Wrote: Yes, to the solver...attached are its settings.  And thanks for such a quick response.

Try setting the solver’s “sleep threshold” to zero. Depending on your project’s timestep settings, the default might be too high and allow the rope to sleep right away. Short timesteps require lower sleep thresholds.

Let me know whether this solves the issue.
(27-04-2021, 10:39 PM)josemendez Wrote: Try setting the solver’s “sleep threshold” to zero. Depending on your project’s timestep settings, the default might be too high and allow the rope to sleep right away. Short timesteps require lower sleep thresholds.

Let me know whether this solves the issue.
Hate to say, but no change when setting the sleep threshold to zero.
(27-04-2021, 10:57 PM)CamperJohn Wrote: Hate to say, but no change when setting the sleep threshold to zero.

I’m unable to reproduce this, also had no similar reports.

Do the included sample scenes work for you?

Edit: Only couple things I can think of:
- The rope is not parented under a solved, thus not included in the simulation? This is automatically set up for you when you create a rope though, so it's unlikely.
- Play mode is paused? can happen automatically if you have "Error pause" enabled in Unity's console, and an error pops up immediately when pressing play.
(28-04-2021, 07:29 AM)josemendez Wrote: I’m unable to reproduce this, also had no similar reports.

Do the included sample scenes work for you?

Edit: Only couple things I can think of:
- The rope is not parented under a solved, thus not included in the simulation? This is automatically set up for you when you create a rope though, so it's unlikely.
- Play mode is paused? can happen automatically if you have "Error pause" enabled in Unity's console, and an error pops up immediately when pressing play.
The demo scenes do not work either.  I tried both RopeShowcase and RopeAndJoints, neither one works.  The ropes are just stiff, no movement.  I'm using Unity 2019.4.3f1. I do not have 'error pause' enabled. I have 'clear on play'.

(28-04-2021, 01:37 PM)CamperJohn Wrote: The demo scenes do not work either.  I tried both RopeShowcase and RopeAndJoints, neither one works.  The ropes are just stiff, no movement.  I'm using Unity 2019.4.3f1.  I do not have 'error pause' enabled.  I have 'clear on play'.

Hi,

This is rather strange. What Obi version are you using? Do any errors appear in the console? What platform are you running the editor in (Windows, Mac, Linux)?

I see that you haven't installed the Burst dependencies (there's a warning that appears in your ObiSolver component to inform you of this). So Obi will try to fall back to the native backend, which is a library plugin (a .dll in Windows, .bundle in Mac, .so in Linux and so on).

Maybe you're getting DllNotFoundException errors in the console? That would explain this behavior: Burst can't be used because it isn't installed, and the fallback library can't be found, so there's no engine available to perform the simulation. It's just a wild guess though.

See:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...kends.html
(28-04-2021, 01:43 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

This is rather strange. What Obi version are you using? Do any errors appear in the console? What platform are you running the editor in (Windows, Mac, Linux)?

I see that you haven't installed the Burst dependencies (there's a warning that appears in your ObiSolver component to inform you of this). So Obi will try to fall back to the native backend, which is a library plugin (a .dll in Windows, .bundle in Mac, .so in Linux and so on).

Maybe you're getting DllNotFoundException errors in the console? That would explain this behavior: Burst can't be used because it isn't installed, and the fallback library can't be found, so there's no engine available to perform the simulation. It's just a wild guess though.

See:
The only error I am getting in the console is one of my known errors for a quest that I am working on, nothing else.  Should I install Burst? (not really sure what that is). And if I install Burst, do you know how it might effect other items within Unity?

(28-04-2021, 03:07 PM)CamperJohn Wrote: The only error I am getting in the console is one of my known errors for a quest that I am working on, nothing else.  Should I install Burst? (not really sure what that is).

Hi!

Yes you should.

Burst is part of Unity's DOTS. It is a compiler that translates C# code to highly efficient native code. Most often used together with multithreaded code. Obi depends on it, as well as the Jobs, Collections and Mathematics packages. This is mentioned in the asset description, as well as the manual and the FAQ:

Quote:Depends on the Burst, Jobs, Collections, and Mathematics packages, for compatibility with all platforms Burst can compile for.

The minimum required versions of each package are listed in the manual:

Quote:Burst 1.3.3 or newer
Collections 0.8.0-preview 5 or newer
Mathematics 1.0.1 or newer
Jobs 0.2.9-preview.15 or newer

Without Burst, the fallback backend should kick in though. Have you tried importing Obi into an empty project? If that fails too,
can you send your project to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com so that I can diagnose it?