Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Invisible in Mac build? (visible in Windows build and editor for both)
Hi! Recently been using Obi Fluid for a project and it works great, thank you! The only issue I've run into is that it's invisible when I build for Mac, both with the fluid renderer and with rendering particles enabled. There are no issues having it show in the Windows build or in the editor (even in the Mac version!), so is there something dumb I'm missing to get it to show up in a Mac build? Unfortunately I don't have a Mac myself, so I've had to have a teammate test it with theirs (them building it doesn't change anything).

I would appreciate any advice, thank you!
(18-04-2021, 09:28 PM)bribri_ Wrote: Hi! Recently been using Obi Fluid for a project and it works great, thank you! The only issue I've run into is that it's invisible when I build for Mac, both with the fluid renderer and with rendering particles enabled. There are no issues having it show in the Windows build or in the editor (even in the Mac version!), so is there something dumb I'm missing to get it to show up in a Mac build? Unfortunately I don't have a Mac myself, so I've had to have a teammate test it with theirs (them building it doesn't change anything).

I would appreciate any advice, thank you!

Hi!

Our primary development platform is Mac, we test and deploy on Mac and then test on other platforms. Never had this happen to us, or other users afaik. Standalone Mac builds should work fine.

What Mac hardware are you testing on? Which graphics API? (Id assume Metal?) what Unity version? What simulation backend? (Oni or Burst)? What render pipeline? (Built in or URP?) on other platforms.
(18-04-2021, 10:53 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!

Our primary development platform is Mac, we test and deploy on Mac and then test on other platforms. Never had this happen to us, or other users afaik. Standalone Mac builds should work fine.

What Mac hardware are you testing on? Which graphics API? (Id assume Metal?) what Unity version? What simulation backend? (Oni or Burst)? What render pipeline? (Built in or URP?) on other platforms.

-MacBook Pro, they say they think it's the 2016 one
-tried with both Metal and OpenGL Core as the Graphics API for Mac, and it was invisible for both.
-Unity version 2020.3.2f1
-tried with both Oni and Burst, and it was still invisible in the Mac build for both.
-using the built-in render pipeline

Thank you for the help!
(18-04-2021, 11:58 PM)bribri_ Wrote: -MacBook Pro, they say they think it's the 2016 one
-tried with both Metal and OpenGL Core as the Graphics API for Mac, and it was invisible for both.
-Unity version 2020.3.2f1
-tried with both Oni and Burst, and it was still invisible in the Mac build for both.
-using the built-in render pipeline

Thank you for the help!

Fluid rendering requires depth and floating point texture support, but a MacBook (even older models) should have these. Just tested on a mid-2013 Mac book Air and it works fine.

You mentioned that in the Mac version of the Unity editor it works fine, it's just the standalone build that doesn't, right? Can you send the player logs or even a full standalone build to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com? thanks!
(19-04-2021, 07:41 AM)josemendez Wrote: Fluid rendering requires depth and floating point texture support, but a MacBook (even older models) should have these. Just tested on a mid-2013 Mac book Air and it works fine.

You mentioned that in the Mac version of the Unity editor it works fine, it's just the standalone build that doesn't, right? Can you send the player logs or even a full standalone build to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com? thanks!

I've sent a standalone build, thanks!
(19-04-2021, 08:33 PM)bribri_ Wrote: I've sent a standalone build, thanks!

Hi there, I was wondering if you were able to solve this issue? I'm currently having the same problem with a project I'm working on. I'd love to hear if you were able to get it fixed. Thanks!
(25-02-2022, 08:42 PM)coopal00ps Wrote: Hi there, I was wondering if you were able to solve this issue? I'm currently having the same problem with a project I'm working on. I'd love to hear if you were able to get it fixed. Thanks!

In the conversation that followed with OP over email, it was stated that one of the plugins files used by the Oni backend (libOni.bundle) had the checkbox for her specific OS architecture disabled. Enabling it fixed the issue. Quoting OP:

Quote:I actually fixed it myself! I think for one of the plugins, it only worked for a specific Mac OS X CPU, but I changed it to be enabled for any and then it works now, so... yay! Sorry I can't give a better answer, I'm not particularly familiar with that kind of thing, but it works now so I'm happy. Thanks again for the help!

Note these should be enabled by default when installing the asset, so not sure why it was disabled to begin with. In this case, she was using the Oni backend.

You mentioned that using Burst made no difference (assuming you installed all Burst package dependencies and no warning about falling back to Oni appears in the solver inspector, see: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/manua...html#burst), so this is quite probably not the problem in your case.