Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disable Softbody SOlver at Runtime
I have a skinned mesh character that uses both the Obi Softbody skinner component and then applies clothing utilizing the Obi Cloth simulation. 

When both are applied at the same time, the individual solutions bounce off each other and create noise. 

Is there a way that I can eliminate the interaction between these 2 simulations, or simply turn off the Softbody skinner when Obi cloth is on?
(07-04-2021, 03:57 PM)fluidman84 Wrote: I have a skinned mesh character that uses both the Obi Softbody skinner component and then applies clothing utilizing the Obi Cloth simulation. 

When both are applied at the same time, the individual solutions bounce off each other and create noise. 

Is there a way that I can eliminate the interaction between these 2 simulations, or simply turn off the Softbody skinner when Obi cloth is on?

Hi there,

I'm not sure if I understood your setup correctly: is the softbody skinner applied to the same mesh that's simulated using cloth? or they're different actors, using different meshes that just happen to share the same skeleton?

If the latter, you can use separate solvers for each (guaranteed non-interaction) or set all particles to the same phase, whichever is most practical in your case. If the former, I'm not sure what you're striving to achieve. Could you give more details?
I'm instantiating the clothing object as a child of the softbody mesh and they are using the same Obi Solver. Not making it a child of the Softbody character introduces issues as the ObiFixedUpdater then requires constant updates when a new clothing object is instantiated. 

Maybe I'm dense, but I do not see any collision phase controls on either the Obi Softbody Skinner or the Obi SkinnedCloth component as you recommended. 

If there's not a way to allow both the Obi Softbody Skinner and the Obi SkinnedCloth to share the same solver, then I need to be at least able to turn off the Softbody Skinner so there are not any mesh penetrations on the cloth.

[Image: clothing-Obi.png]
(13-04-2021, 05:22 PM)fluidman84 Wrote: I'm instantiating the clothing object as a child of the softbody mesh and they are using the same Obi Solver. Not making it a child of the Softbody character introduces issues as the ObiFixedUpdater then requires constant updates when a new clothing object is instantiated. 

Maybe I'm dense, but I do not see any collision phase controls on either the Obi Softbody Skinner or the Obi SkinnedCloth component as you recommended. 
Phase is a per-particle property (like mass and radius) you can set it on a per-particle basis in the blueprint editor for both cloth and softbodies. See: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...setup.html
(13-04-2021, 05:50 PM)josemendez Wrote: Phase is a per-particle property (like mass and radius) you can set it on a per-particle basis in the blueprint editor for both cloth and softbodies. See: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...setup.html

I've been able to get both softbody on character and cloth sim functioning at the same time on different objects! 

The issue now is that the cloth penetrates the character mesh with the softbody. Is there a way to ensure that the cloth always sits on top of the softbody character mesh without penetrating without using a custom shader to overdraw?