Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it not possible to put ObiSolver on dragged object?
(Im talking about grapple example scene, but it probably applies to whole ObiRope)

Am not 100% sure but from documentation AND from my experiences it seems that root object needs to be obi solver

and then you can put your player as child of ObiSolver (as in grapple example)

now thats very problematic to me. my player needs to be the root object.
However, ive tried putting ObiSolver on the player in GrappleExample (instead of player being child of ObiSolver) 
and it stopped working correctly (started throwing player around for no reason, even when not moving and on ground)

hence, I assume its not possible for obi solver to be on same object that it is dragging with rope.
and while ill continue experimenting with it, I am asking for advice and clarification.

What should I do? Is there absolutely no way to put obisolver on player, while also dragging the player with rope ? (firing from his arm)
(29-03-2021, 06:54 PM)mailfromthew Wrote: (Im talking about grapple example scene, but it probably applies to whole ObiRope)

Am not 100% sure but from documentation AND from my experiences it seems that root object needs to be obi solver

and then you can put your player as child of ObiSolver (as in grapple example)

now thats very problematic to me. my player needs to be the root object.
However, ive tried putting ObiSolver on the player in GrappleExample (instead of player being child of ObiSolver) 
and it stopped working correctly (started throwing player around for no reason, even when not moving and on ground)

hence, I assume its not possible for obi solver to be on same object that it is dragging with rope.
and while ill continue experimenting with it, I am asking for advice and clarification.

What should I do? Is there absolutely no way to put obisolver on player, while also dragging the player with rope ? (firing from his arm)

You can place the solver absolutely anywhere. Only thing you need to keep in mind is that the simulation is always performed in solver space -as stated in the manual: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...olver.html ,so you need to make the necessary data conversions to/from world space and other object’s space. Obi kinda takes for granted that you’re comfortable with vector spaces, though. If you aren’t, using it will prove quite difficult.

In the grappling hook sample scene I choose to place the solver above the player in the hierarchy since it’s the most natural approach. All the scripts are adjusted acoording to this.

Note that performinng the simulation in the player’s local space (as you seem to wish) is quite cumbersome, since the simulation space moves as a result of the simulation itself. It generally is simpler to have a solver with identity transform (so that its local space equals world space) and place your actors underneath it. Also, note that the player does not need to be parented under the solver in this case. Only the rope does.