Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Washing Machine animation
Hi there, I need to make a lot of washing machine animation in Unity, where the drum of the machine is spinning and the clothes move along with it and the water splashes all over. I'm wondering if obiCloth and obiFluid would be capable of doing that in such a small space at a medium speed. I've tried using Unity's cloth component, but no success. Could obiCloth handle something like this? 
Thanks Sonrisa
(22-03-2021, 04:35 PM)ZoltanVW Wrote: Hi there, I need to make a lot of washing machine animation in Unity, where the drum of the machine is spinning and the clothes move along with it and the water splashes all over. I'm wondering if obiCloth and obiFluid would be capable of doing that in such a small space at a medium speed. I've tried using Unity's cloth component, but no success. Could obiCloth handle something like this? 
Thanks Sonrisa

Hi!
Why do you want to *simulate* this in realtime? Wouldn’t a simple animation be enough?

In case you need to simulate this, it should be possible, but will be very expensive as cloth inside a washing machine drum generates lots of self- and inter- collisions at considerably high speed. This requires using a small timestep to prevent tangling.

I’d advise against trying to simulate this if at all possible.
(22-03-2021, 07:28 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi!
Why do you want to *simulate* this in realtime? Wouldn’t a simple animation be enough?

In case you need to simulate this, it should be possible, but will be very expensive as cloth inside a washing machine drum generates lots of self- and inter- collisions at considerably high speed. This requires using a small timestep to prevent tangling.

I’d advise against trying to simulate this if at all possible.
Hi,
Thanks for your reply! Sonrisa
They'll be all videos in the end using Recorder, so it doesn't matter if it's expensive. The models themselves will be used in a design editor and they'll come with videos, showcasing their features. (we do them in Unity) They need to look believable. I've never delved myself into cloth animation too much, so it is quite a new area for me and I'm looking for a solution. I was thinking of animating it manually, but I doubt that would look real enough as I am more of a modeler. We have all kinds of appliances and I've got the washing machines this time around and an encouraging "Good luck, we have no idea how to do it!" Gran sonrisa I've tried to do it in Unity, surrounding the drum with a lot of capsule colliders but the cloth either got shot out of space, or turned inside out and slid out of the drum eventually. And Unity doesn't support 3ds max cloth simulations unfortunately. So I hoped maybe obiCloth could do it. Or if you could lead me to a better solution, I'd appreciate it!
(23-03-2021, 01:02 AM)ZoltanVW Wrote: Hi,
Thanks for your reply! Sonrisa
They'll be all videos in the end using Recorder, so it doesn't matter if it's expensive. The models themselves will be used in a design editor and they'll come with videos, showcasing their features. (we do them in Unity) They need to look believable. I've never delved myself into cloth animation too much, so it is quite a new area for me and I'm looking for a solution. I was thinking of animating it manually, but I doubt that would look real enough as I am more of a modeler.

Most 3D modeling packages also come with offline, high-quality cloth simulators (Blender, 3DSMax, Maya, etc). You can just simulate the cloth there and then export it?

Quote:And Unity doesn't support 3ds max cloth simulations unfortunately.

It does! Sonrisa that's what Alembic is supposed to be used for. You can export simulations from any other program in Alembic format and import them into Unity for playback. It's not interactive, as they're just animations (not simulations) but it's the usual workflow when dealing with cinematics/animations.

Some resources:
https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.un...index.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChZWVCgMWyU
(23-03-2021, 08:54 AM)josemendez Wrote: Most 3D modeling packages also come with offline, high-quality cloth simulators (Blender, 3DSMax, Maya, etc). You can just simulate the cloth there and then export it?

It does! Sonrisa that's what Alembic is supposed to be used for. You can export simulations from any other program in Alembic format and import them into Unity for playback. It's not interactive, as they're just animations (not simulations) but it's the usual workflow when dealing with cinematics/animations.

Some resources:
https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.un...index.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChZWVCgMWyU
This is...amazing! I've never heard of Alembic! Did a test and worked like a charm! Thank you very much, exactly what I needed. Gran sonrisa Have an awesome day!
(23-03-2021, 09:55 AM)ZoltanVW Wrote: This is...amazing! I've never heard of Alembic! Did a test and worked like a charm! Thank you very much, exactly what I needed. Gran sonrisa Have an awesome day!

Glad to be able to help! best luck with your project Sonrisa