Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bug in rope blueprint editing
When modifying blueprints I am seeing many sub assets created (these do not correspond to points in I'm editing). While editing I'm also experiencing very long waits as the assets are processed, presumably as it created dozens of those particle group sub objects.

Really killin' my vibe at the moment.
(22-03-2021, 02:16 PM)mike c Wrote: When modifying blueprints I am seeing many sub assets created (these do not correspond to points in I'm editing). While editing I'm also experiencing very long waits as the assets are processed, presumably as it created dozens of those particle group sub objects.

Really killin' my vibe at the moment.

Hi there,

I’m unable to reproduce this, haven’t had any similar reports so far. Only one group per control point should be created, and no waits should take place while doing it.

What unity version are you using? Can you provide steps that lead to this issue? Does this happen when adding new control points, removing them, or editing existing ones?
Unity 2019.4.20f1.

This happens when trying to edit the existing "tearable rope" or on a new rope blueprint, or a duplicate. It happens when editing anything as far as I can tell, but absolutely happens when trying to rename points and add them. (I think it also happened from moving them too).  I did see some errors when this happened about not being able to handle attaching the points or something, perhaps an error because of existing pin attachment components on the rope the blueprint is attached to?  I'll try to repro that and then give more detail.  As of now I cannot work with the system much at all because of this though.

TL; DR; Adding points, renaming them, moving them = numerous added control points visible in the blueprint and very long asset import dialog being shown with unity hanging in the meantime. Happens on existing, duplicated, or newly created blueprints.

I just tried creating a new obi rope component, then creating a new blueprint, dropping that blueprint into the component, then hitting edit path in the component,  renaming each other the default control points names.  Each time I rename I'm prompted with a mouse cursor telling me unity is busy for a few seconds.  I see the blueprint contains 4 points after having done this, which I wonder two of which might be tangents data?  I then went and added one new control point, an even longer delay as unity chugs along dealing with whatever it's doing, then after this if I check the blueprint asset I see it now contains 16 particle group entries, most of which are sharing the names I gave the initial two endpoints, and a couple which are simply named "control points".  This is all the behaviour I was seeing before just no error output in the console.

If I were to add another control point now or rename something it would be an even longer delay and I will get many more of the point group sub assets showing up.

Edit: Additionally, in spite of all of those subassets, I do still only see the three control points if I do go into edit them in the scene.
Edit 2: Most of the particle groups don't have any entries in their particle indicies arrays, but a few do. Seems rather random.
(22-03-2021, 07:33 PM)mike c Wrote: Unity 2019.4.20f1.

This happens when trying to edit the existing "tearable rope" or on a new rope blueprint, or a duplicate. It happens when editing anything as far as I can tell, but absolutely happens when trying to rename points and add them. (I think it also happened from moving them too).  I did see some errors when this happened about not being able to handle attaching the points or something, perhaps an error because of existing pin attachment components on the rope the blueprint is attached to?  I'll try to repro that and then give more detail.  As of now I cannot work with the system much at all because of this though.

TL; DR; Adding points, renaming them, moving them = numerous added control points visible in the blueprint and very long asset import dialog being shown with unity hanging in the meantime.  Happens on existing, duplicated, or newly created blueprints.

I just tried creating a new obi rope component, then creating a new blueprint, dropping that blueprint into the component, then hitting edit path in the component,  renaming each other the default control points names.  Each time I rename I'm prompted with a mouse cursor telling me unity is busy for a few seconds.  I see the blueprint contains 4 points after having done this, which I wonder two of which might be tangents data?  I then went and added one new control point, an even longer delay as unity chugs along dealing with whatever it's doing, then after this if I check the blueprint asset I see it now contains 16 particle group entries, most of which are sharing the names I gave the initial two endpoints, and a couple which are simply named "control points".  This is all the behaviour I was seeing before just no error output in the console.

If I were to add another control point now or rename something it would be an even longer delay and I will get many more of the point group sub assets showing up.

Edit: Additionally, in spite of all of those subassets, I do still only see the three control points if I do go into edit them in the scene.
Edit 2: Most of the particle groups don't have any entries in their particle indicies arrays, but a few do.  Seems rather random.

Using Unity 2019.4.20f1, still can’t trigger this, it sounds rather strange. Even with dozens of particle groups, assuming there’s a bug somewhere in there that creates copies of them, there’s no reason for Unity to stall.

Will try a few more things tomorrow and see if I can get any clue/hints as to why this happens.
Tried this again today, can't get the rope editor to behave like this. Used a variety of Unity versions and installed on existing as well as fresh projects, tried having multiple inspector/scene view windows open, locking inspectors, and having inspectors open in debug mode, to no avail. The fact that I've never had similar reports from other users makes me suspect this must be something specific to your project/Unity installation, so I'll probably need more info.  Indeciso

Here's a video of what it's supposed to work like while adding/removing/editing points, maybe you can sport any difference with the workflow you're using?