Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collider Layer?
Información 
Hi, in a nutshell, I need specific colliders to repel only ropes, not cloths.

I'm already using surface collisions in my ropes but I have several thin colliders around my scene (furnitures with drawers and doors) and it's very easy to happen intersections, I placed big cube colliders involving the furnitures but I also use obi cloth and I noticed physics layer doenst make diference. I mean, for instance, my cloths can be inside drawers so each wooden side has colliders, but I dont want/need rope (in this case they are power cables) inside the drawers so I have big colliders around the entire drawer and furniture to avoid the penetration of the rope particles, but it seems physics layer doesnt make diference so those big colliders spit out the cloths models...

Since phase setting for the collision wont work in this situation what could I do?]

tks in advice.
(04-03-2021, 04:13 AM)JhonatasFarias Wrote: Hi, in a nutshell, I need specific colliders to repel only ropes, not cloths.

I'm already using surface collisions in my ropes but I have several thin colliders around my scene (furnitures with drawers and doors) and it's very easy to happen intersections, I placed big cube colliders involving the furnitures but I also use obi cloth and I noticed physics layer doenst make diference. I mean, for instance, my cloths can be inside drawers so each wooden side has colliders, but I dont want/need rope (in this case they are power cables) inside the drawers so I have big colliders around the entire drawer and furniture to avoid the penetration of the rope particles, but it seems physics layer doesnt make diference so those big colliders spit out the cloths models...

Since phase setting for the collision wont work in this situation what could I do?]

tks in advice.

Layers are only used by Unity's built-in engine. Obi doesn't use them for a variety of reasons, mostly performance-related.
I don't see why you can't use phases for this, remember the rule is:

- Objects (colliders, particles) with the same phase will ignore each other.
- Objects with different phases will collide with each other.

You can place your cloth in one phase and your ropes in other, then set the colliders in the same phase as the cloth. They will repel the ropes and ignore cloth.

In some situations more detailed filtering is needed (such as the one provided by the layer collision matrix), but unfortunately this is overkill to have with particles.

Also remember that unless you add a ObiCollider component to an object, it will be entirely ignored by Obi.
(04-03-2021, 08:42 AM)josemendez Wrote: Layers are only used by Unity's built-in engine. Obi doesn't use them for a variety of reasons, mostly performance-related.
I don't see why you can't use phases for this, remember the rule is:

- Objects (colliders, particles) with the same phase will ignore each other.
- Objects with different phases will collide with each other.

You can place your cloth in one phase and your ropes in other, then set the colliders in the same phase as the cloth. They will repel the ropes and ignore cloth.

In some situations more detailed filtering is needed (such as the one provided by the layer collision matrix), but unfortunately this is overkill to have with particles.

Also remember that unless you add a ObiCollider component to an object, it will be entirely ignored by Obi.

I tried to do that but I have multiple cloth-blueprints. Earlier when I was too noob for the asset all those blueprints had the same phase and I changed the phase to collide with each other as I saw in the manual. Still yet cloths with the same phase (same blueprint) didnt collide so I hit "self collision". I'm wondering know: I didnt tried yet if setting all diferrent blueprints to the same phase and keep "self collision" enabled all the cloths will collide with each other, if it does then I can do what you said.