Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion / Idea  Subtitles in the solver constraints list
Bombilla 
It would be more easy to identify which constraint each system takes consideration.

[Image: JdV-zbCRRAs8xPhcQyEDTl_mH1GpM9iGj6zAGCoW...authuser=1]
(27-02-2021, 09:00 PM)JhonatasFarias Wrote: It would be more easy to identify which constraint each system takes consideration.

[Image: JdV-zbCRRAs8xPhcQyEDTl_mH1GpM9iGj6zAGCoW...authuser=1]

Hi there!

Thanks for the feedback! the image you linked to is unfortunately not visible, maybe the url is wrong?

What do you mean by "subtitles"? The solver constraints list has the name of each constraint type. Each actor component contains inspector settings for every constraint type used by it, so it should be relatively easy to tell which constraint types are used by each actor.
(28-02-2021, 07:12 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there!

Thanks for the feedback! the image you linked to is unfortunately not visible, maybe the url is wrong?

What do you mean by "subtitles"? The solver constraints list has the name of each constraint type. Each actor component contains inspector settings for every constraint type used by it, so it should be relatively easy to tell which constraint types are used by each actor.

i hope this can be seen now ↓ I bet thats the public/private view politics

[Image: download.png]
Hi there,

The image is now visible, thank you! Will think about how to add this in a future update. My only concern is that it will fill too much space and end up reducing legibility, maybe icons or a different font weight would do the trick.

cheers!
(02-03-2021, 08:02 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there,

The image is now visible, thank you! Will think about how to add this in a future update. My only concern is that it will fill too much space and end up reducing legibility, maybe icons or a different font weight would do the trick.

cheers!

Hi!
It doesn't need to be like that at the middle of secctions and it doenst need to be outstanding, it's to be more clear if while testing what I'm enabling/disabling makes any sense for what i'm using

[Image: unknown.png]

Let's say for example I disable volume constraint, nothing happens with my cloths but as soon as I disable skin constraint something unespected happen and it's not clear for me that cloths can work without volume constraint but not without skin constraint.

I had an experience with rods, for performance and art feeling I started decreasing particles mass and interactions, I ended up with a strange non-sense zig-zag shape on the rods, so ok, I started disabling/enabling constraints to see what happens (no clue if it's for rods or not) and disabling stretch shear resolved the zigzag problem. If I knew that plays with rods I could go to it at first Sonrisa
(03-03-2021, 12:25 AM)JhonatasFarias Wrote: Hi!
It doesn't need to be like that at the middle of secctions and it doenst need to be outstanding, it's to be more clear if while testing what I'm enabling/disabling makes any sense for what i'm using

[Image: unknown.png]

That's a good idea, thanks! Sonrisa

(03-03-2021, 12:25 AM)JhonatasFarias Wrote: Let's say for example I disable volume constraint, nothing happens with my cloths but as soon as I disable skin constraint something unespected happen and it's not clear for me that cloths can work without volume constraint but not without skin constraint.

It depends on what you want to do. Volume and Skin constraints are both used by cloth, and only by cloth. However, Skin constraints are used for skinned cloth, and volume constraints for closed cloth meshes. So even though both would have the cloth subtitle right next to it, the devil is in the details. A regular cloth can work without either, a skinned cloth can work without volume but not without skin.

(03-03-2021, 12:25 AM)JhonatasFarias Wrote: I had an experience with rods, for performance and art feeling I started decreasing particles mass and interactions, I ended up with a strange non-sense zig-zag shape on the rods, so ok, I started disabling/enabling constraints to see what happens (no clue if it's for rods or not) and disabling stretch shear resolved the zigzag problem. If I knew that plays with rods I could go to it at first Sonrisa

I get it, so I will definitely add subtitles in the next update. For this specific case you mention though, stretch/shear should always be used for rods (specially when not using chain constraints as well), as they strive to keep the rod's length. Without them the rod will stretch a lot. The zig-zag patterns appear when using sequential evaluation, as it's order-dependent:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...olver.html

Quote:In Sequential mode, all constraints are evaluated in the order they were created (which is determined by each specific ObiActor) and each constraint “sees” the adjustments made by all previous constraints.  It is order-dependent, so in low-budget situations (few iterations and/or large timesteps) this can result in visible patterns in particle arrangement.

Constraints are divided in batches for efficient parallelization. In rods and ropes, all even constraints are updated first, then all odd constraints. So odd constraints always have a slight "advantage" so to speak, as they are evaluated last, and this makes zig-zag patterns visible. In parallel mode, even and odd constraints are evaluated separately and their contributions averaged in a second pass, so order is not important. This order-dependency is also mentioned and demonstrated here: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...gence.html

So in case of visible patterns, using more iterations and/or parallel mode is the correct solution.
(03-03-2021, 08:14 AM)josemendez Wrote: That's a good idea, thanks! Sonrisa

It depends on what you want to do. Volume and Skin constraints are both used by cloth, and only by cloth. However, Skin constraints are used for skinned cloth, and volume constraints for closed cloth meshes. So even though both would have the cloth subtitle right next to it, the devil is in the details. A regular cloth can work without either, a skinned cloth can work without volume but not without skin.

I get it, so I will definitely add subtitles in the next update. For this specific case you mention though, stretch/shear should always be used for rods (specially when not using chain constraints as well), as they strive to keep the rod's length. Without them the rod will stretch a lot. The zig-zag patterns appear when using sequential evaluation, as it's order-dependent:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...olver.html

Constraints are divided in batches for efficient parallelization. In rods and ropes, all even constraints are updated first, then all odd constraints. So odd constraints always have a slight "advantage" so to speak, as they are evaluated last, and this makes zig-zag patterns visible. In parallel mode, even and odd constraints are evaluated separately and their contributions averaged in a second pass, so order is not important. This order-dependency is also mentioned and demonstrated here: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...gence.html

So in case of visible patterns, using more iterations and/or parallel mode is the correct solution.

Oh, my bad, you are right, I didn't disabled stretch shear, actually I changed from sequential to parallel and the zigzag shape was gone, I missed the correct word. But having that clarification would be nice Guiño