Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Increase scale of softbody?
When I try to grow softbody sphere, there's a really bad render bug (See attached)

Any fix?
(11-02-2021, 01:06 PM)RMHgames Wrote: When I try to grow softbody sphere, there's a really bad render bug (See attached)

Any fix?

You can't scale deformable objects, it does not make any sense mathematically speaking. You can't define a deformable object's position, rotation or size using a single matrix. Affine/rigid transforms (such as Unity's) can only be applied to rigid objects, as the name implies.

You can however scale the simulation space they're in. Simply scale the solver. See the manual:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...olver.html

Quote:Solvers always perform the simulation in local space. This means that translating, rotating or scaling the solver will rigidly transform the simulation as a whole.
So what is the way to get a bigger softobody in the game without scaling the solver, which will change all the other objects thus not making a difference? 

I want to have several softbodies of similar shape. Or I want to adjust the size of a softbody e.g. the player so it will be bigger than the obstacles. Is there something I can do except having several copies of a single model each in different sizes or remodeling player's model and reexporting it?
(04-03-2021, 03:56 PM)the-lander Wrote: So what is the way to get a bigger softobody in the game without scaling the solver, which will change all the other objects thus not making a difference? 

I want to have several softbodies of similar shape. Or I want to adjust the size of a softbody e.g. the player so it will be bigger than the obstacles. Is there something I can do except having several copies of a single model each in different sizes or remodeling player's model and reexporting it?

Not really. The only way to have multiple deformable objects of different sizes under the same solver is for them to use different blueprints, even if their overall shape is similar.

A large object will probably need more particles/constraints than a small one to keep comparable behavior, so even if you could scale a deformable object like you do with rigid objects, it would result in different physical behavior.
(04-03-2021, 04:00 PM)josemendez Wrote: Not really. The only way to have multiple deformable objects of different sizes under the same solver is for them to use different blueprints, even if their overall shape is similar.

A large object will probably need more particles/constraints than a small one to keep comparable behavior, so even if you could scale a deformable object like you do with rigid objects, it would result in different physical behavior.
 Thank you!