Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Particle Attachment issue
Rope is not staying connected to Particle Attachment points. Tried empty objects and outside object with collider. One end is coming from the character's backpack and the other end is connected to something in its hand, as soon as the character moves both ends jump/jitter.
(04-02-2021, 09:04 PM)Hexagon Red Wrote: Rope is not staying connected to Particle Attachment points. Tried empty objects and outside object with collider. One end is coming from the character's backpack and the other end is connected to something in its hand, as soon as the character moves both ends jump/jitter.

Hi,

With so little information I can’t do much to help, I’d need more details:

- what kind of attachments are you using? Static, dynamic, or both?
- what does your setup look like? Where’s the solver component in relation to the character and the rope?
- does your character hierarchy contain colliders?
- if so, are collisions between the rope and these colliders enabled?
- how are you moving your character around? Rigidbody/forces, setting transform, character controller...?

A typical issue (might or might not be your case) that pops up often in the forum is using a dynamic attachment to attach a rope inside or very close to a collider that is also set to collide with the rope. This will result in all sorts of jittering and weirdness because it creates an impossible to solve situation: the rope can’t be simultaneously inside and outside the collider. The solution in this case is simply to deactivate collisions between the part of the rope inside the collider, by making use of phases. This specific problem has its own section in the manual, see the last bit of: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...aints.html
Thank you for your response. I tried my best to answer your questions below in red.

- what kind of attachments are you using? Static, dynamic, or both? Static
- what does your setup look like? Where’s the solver component in relation to the character and the rope? see image
- does your character hierarchy contain colliders? Not attached to character. Rope is attached to an empty that is outside of the backpack (has collider) that is attached to the character
- how are you moving your character around? Rigidbody/forces, setting transform, character controller...? Game Creator character controller

(05-02-2021, 08:39 PM)Hexagon Red Wrote: Thank you for your response. I tried my best to answer your questions below in red.

- what kind of attachments are you using? Static, dynamic, or both? Static
- what does your setup look like? Where’s the solver component in relation to the character and the rope? see image
- does your character hierarchy contain colliders? Not attached to character. Rope is attached to an empty that is outside of the backpack (has collider) that is attached to the character
- how are you moving your character around? Rigidbody/forces, setting transform, character controller...? Game Creator character controller

Hi there,

I'm unable to reproduce any issues using a setup similar to yours. Would it be possible for you to share your project so that I can take a look (send it to support@virtualmethodstudio.com)

Quote:does your character hierarchy contain colliders? Not attached to character. Rope is attached to an empty that is outside of the backpack (has collider) that is attached to the character[/font][/size]

This counts as attaching to the character's bone hierarchy, since the backpack is part of the character's bone hierarchy. The question was if your hierarchy contains colliders.
Again, thank you for your assistance. I emailed you a link to my project.
Hi there,

Taking a look at your project, the issue is that you're using a ObiFixedUpdater, but the character animation is updated in LateUpdate(). This means the rope will always be one frame behind the animation (since FixedUpdate() is called before LateUpdate(), see: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ExecutionOrder.html), and will jitter as it tries to keep up with it.

Either animate your character in FixedUpdate, or use ObiLateUpdater instead. See: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...aters.html. Sent a video of the result to your email.
Gran sonrisa 
That worked. Thank you for staying with me until my issue was fixed and getting back to me in a very timely fashion.