Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Difference between URP shaders for v5.6.2?
Hello,

I am new to using Obi Fluid v5.6.2 in URP in 2019.4+,
I notice that there are 3 different URP shaders

-FluidShaderURP
-ParticleShaderURP
-SimpleParticleShaderURP

I tried to playing with all the example scenes by using the above 3 shaders on the emitter and noticed only the particleShaderURP would actually render
My question what are the difference between them and when should I use the other 2 shaders?

Thank you
(17-12-2020, 12:59 AM)zkkzkk32312 Wrote: Hello,

I am new to using Obi Fluid v5.6.2 in URP in 2019.4+,
I notice that there are 3 different URP shaders

-FluidShaderURP
-ParticleShaderURP
-SimpleParticleShaderURP

I tried to playing with all the example scenes by using the above 3 shaders on the emitter and noticed only the particleShaderURP would actually render
My question what are the difference between them and when should I use the other 2 shaders?

Thank you

Hi there,

ParticleShaderURP and SimpleParticleShaderURP are particle shaders, the differences and how they work is described in detail here:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...ering.html

FluidShaderURP is a fluid shader, as described here:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...ering.html

Particle shaders take a mesh of collapsed vertices as input, and expand them to full camera-facing quads, then draws a procedural sphere/ellipse in each of them. This way thousands of perfectly smooth spheres/ellipsoids are drawn to screen, each one using just 2 triangles. The "simple" shader does not take perspective, anisotropy or depth into account, while the regular one does.

Fluid shaders take 4 full-screen fluid data buffers as input (normals, depth, thickness and foam) then calculate shading and compose the fluid on top of the screen, as described in the link above.

You can't feed a fluid shader to the ObiParticleRenderer, it can only make use of particle shaders. Unless you really know what you're doing and why, you should leave shaders at their defaults.
Thanks for the info josemendez !