Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Cloth not behaving as ... cloth?
Triste 
Hi, I just purchased the package and followed the tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auO01CjxXVg&t=8s

Unfortunately, the cloth does not move or do anything after following the instructions step-for-step up to the 2:50 mark.

I thought this could be an issue with some dependencies. I have Burst 1.3.9 and Mathematics 1.2.1 installed. Your documentation here refers to "Collections 0.8.0-preview 5 or newer, Jobs 0.2.9-preview.15 or newer" (http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...kends.html). But neither of those packages exists in the Unity package manager in any of the registry/tab dropdowns. So I am a little stuck and confused on how to proceed.

Lastly, I have huge framerate drops when running the project with the Obi Cloth in it. Are all these issues related?

Thanks.
(02-12-2020, 11:53 PM)mikemikemike Wrote: Hi, I just purchased the package and followed the tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auO01CjxXVg&t=8s

Unfortunately, the cloth does not move or do anything after following the instructions step-for-step up to the 2:50 mark.

I thought this could be an issue with some dependencies. I have Burst 1.3.9 and Mathematics 1.2.1 installed. Your documentation here refers to "Collections 0.8.0-preview 5 or newer, Jobs 0.2.9-preview.15 or newer" (http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...kends.html). But neither of those packages exists in the Unity package manager in any of the registry/tab dropdowns. So I am a little stuck and confused on how to proceed.

Lastly, I have huge framerate drops when running the project with the Obi Cloth in it. Are all these issues related?

Thanks.

Hi,

Installing the Burst dependencies is only necessary if you plan on using Burst at all, it’s completely optional. If the dependencies are not installed, the native backend (Oni) will be used even if you select the Burst backend, as described in the manual.

Nonetheless, all minimum dependency versions are available in the package manager. You might have to unfold the “See all versions” dropdown though.

I had no issues getting cloth simulation to run by following the steps in the video (Unity 2019.3 and Obi 5.6.1). Also, performance was fine (>300 fps). Can you describe in more detail the steps you’re following? Also, are you able to reproduce any performance issues in the included sample scenes?
(03-12-2020, 01:03 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi,

Installing the Burst dependencies is only necessary if you plan on using Burst at all, it’s completely optional. If the dependencies are not installed, the native backend (Oni) will be used even if you select the Burst backend, as described in the manual.

Nonetheless, all minimum dependency versions are available in the package manager. You might have to unfold the “See all versions” dropdown though.

I had no issues getting cloth simulation to run by following the steps in the video (Unity 2019.3 and Obi 5.6.1). Also, performance was fine (>300 fps). Can you describe in more detail the steps you’re following? Also, are you able to reproduce any performance issues in the included sample scenes?

Thanks for your help! I'm running Unity 2020.1.6f1 if that helps.

The steps I followed: Installed the package. Created an Obi Cloth Blueprint. Added a mesh to the blueprint. Clicked generate. Checked the mesh in the edit view - all good. Then created a new Obi Cloth game object. It was instantiated as the child of a solver. I selected the blueprint and applied it to the cloth. Then I clicked "Play" on my scene. The cloth does not move or anything and seems to be frozen in place, and the frame rate drops very low.

I checked the sample scenes, and none of them work either. Interestingly, when the game is playing the first sample (Cloth > Benchmark) I cannot even move the flag transforms in the scene view. The transform value changes but they show themselves as if they're stuck directly in place. There is a game object in that scene called "Burst Collision World" with a script on it. When I click on that, I see a warning that says: "the associated script cannot be loaded. Please fix any compile errors and assign a valid script."

I also have Obi Rope and none of the rope samples work there either. It's as if all the Obi Materials are stuck in place.
(03-12-2020, 01:48 AM)mikemikemike Wrote: Thanks for your help! I'm running Unity 2020.1.6f1 if that helps.

The steps I followed: Installed the package. Created an Obi Cloth Blueprint. Added a mesh to the blueprint. Clicked generate. Checked the mesh in the edit view - all good. Then created a new Obi Cloth game object. It was instantiated as the child of a solver. I selected the blueprint and applied it to the cloth. Then I clicked "Play" on my scene. The cloth does not move or anything and seems to be frozen in place, and the frame rate drops very low.

I checked the sample scenes, and none of them work either. Interestingly, when the game is playing the first sample (Cloth > Benchmark) I cannot even move the flag transforms in the scene view. The transform value changes but they show themselves as if they're stuck directly in place. There is a game object in that scene called "Burst Collision World" with a script on it. When I click on that, I see a warning that says: "the associated script cannot be loaded. Please fix any compile errors and assign a valid script."

I also have Obi Rope and none of the rope samples work there either. It's as if all the Obi Materials are stuck in place.

Resolved by downgrading Unity down to 2019 version then back up to 2020! Not sure why that fixed it, but all good now. Thanks!
(03-12-2020, 01:48 AM)mikemikemike Wrote: When I click on that, I see a warning that says: "the associated script cannot be loaded. Please fix any compile errors and assign a valid script."

There’s the issue: your project had compile errors. As long as there’s any error, you can’t enter play mode in Unity (doing so won’t run anything at all).

As to why there were errors in your project, no idea: could have been any script in the project, or any package conflict. Errors always appear in the console (seen at the bottom of the Unity window). Next time this happens (be it while using Obi or not) the error messages will give you valuable information on how to solve them.

Keep in mind that Obi is aimed at advanced users, it’s assumed that you know your way around Unity and that you’re also quite familiar with basic 3D physics/math concepts (timestepping, vector spaces, inertial forces, etc). If you’re a beginner, Don’t be discouraged by the steep learning curve. Let me know if I can be of any help Sonrisa.

Cheers!