Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Performance Tips?
Información 
Hi,
I was wondering if there were general tips to maximize performance? Right now I'm getting between 20 and 90 FPS in a simple scene with only one solver running Burst, and with only one tearable cloth.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 Core Processor 4.00GHz
GPU: Radeon ™ RX 480
Unity3D Version: 2020.1.13f1
(18-11-2020, 11:37 PM)MBennettDev Wrote: Hi,
I was wondering if there were general tips to maximize performance? Right now I'm getting between 20 and 90 FPS in a simple scene with only one solver running Burst, and with only one tearable cloth.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 Core Processor 4.00GHz
GPU: Radeon ™ RX 480
Unity3D Version: 2020.1.13f1

Make sure you disable the jobs debugger, enable Burst compilation, disable safety checks, etc, as stated in the manual:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...kends.html

All these will impact performance for multiple reasons (not only for Obi, but anything making use of Burst).
(19-11-2020, 09:49 AM)josemendez Wrote: Make sure you disable the jobs debugger, enable Burst compilation, disable safety checks, etc, as stated in the manual:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...kends.html

All these will impact performance for multiple reasons (not only for Obi, but anything making use of Burst).

Hi, any other tips? I've done all of the above, have all the latest packages for jobs, burst etc and still getting terrible performance in editor with a single obi skinned cloth object(what I would consider low poly) and a single solver. It takes the scene from 200fps to 15fps when I enable the solver.  I have an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core processor.
Thanks.
Edit: Even when the Obi skinned cloth object is removed, the performance doesn't change. Seems like it's the Obi Fixed Updater that is causing it, nothing to do with the simulation? Also, when I do the opposite of what you mentioned above, ie turn on jobs debugger, enable burst compilation and enable safety checks, there is no noticeable change in performance...

[FIXED] For some reason there was a game object called 'OniCollisionWorld' in my scene hierarchy which has a script on it 'OniColliderWorld'. It was this that was tanking performance. No idea how it got there, I think it might have been autogenerated when creating some Obi objects? But removing that my fps jumped back up to 200fps.
(03-12-2020, 01:16 PM)memoryofgod Wrote: [FIXED] For some reason there was a game object called 'OniCollisionWorld' in my scene hierarchy which has a script on it 'OniColliderWorld'. It was this that was tanking performance. No idea how it got there, I think it might have been autogenerated when creating some Obi objects? But removing that my fps jumped back up to 200fps.

Hi there,

That object should automatically removed when you switch from the Oni backend to Burst. If you switched backends while a compile error was present, or some other circumstance prevented Obi from removing that object, it might linger around, causing all colliders in your scene to be updated for both backends and affecting performance.

In Obi 5.6.2 (out in a few days) we've added a quality of life improvement that ignores existing ColliderWorld components that no backend is making use of. In cases such as this where stray/leftover ColliderWorld components are still around, Obi will ignore them.