Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rope Is Hanging From The Control Point
It is me again Gran sonrisa 

So we are very close to completing our rope mechanic for our game. However, there is only one slight problem. When I move the rope to a specific point, the rope starts to hang from the control point. The screenshots are attached to this thread.

I want my rope to match the exact surface of my nail and my circle instead of this weird hanging from the control point. I want the control points to hold the rope ends so the ropes wont hang weirdly from the control points. I aligned the control points just like what I want and I want my rope ends to stay that way while the rope moves around. Rope tangles and rope movements are all okay. End parts of the ropes are the problem here.

How would I do that without changing the distance constraints from the obi solver or from the obi rope?

Attached Files
.png   resim_2020-11-18_115444.png (Size: 25.59 KB / Downloads: 19)
.png   resim_2020-11-18_115542.png (Size: 18.56 KB / Downloads: 19)
(18-11-2020, 09:57 AM)canerozdemir Wrote: It is me again Gran sonrisa 

So we are very close to completing our rope mechanic for our game. However, there is only one slight problem. When I move the rope to a specific point, the rope starts to hang from the control point. The screenshots are attached to this thread.

I want my rope to match the exact surface of my nail and my circle instead of this weird hanging from the control point. I want the control points to hold the rope ends so the ropes wont hang weirdly from the control points. I aligned the control points just like what I want and I want my rope ends to stay that way while the rope moves around. Rope tangles and rope movements are all okay. End parts of the ropes are the problem here.

How would I do that without changing the distance constraints from the obi solver or from the obi rope?

Could it be that the rope is attached inside a collider? In that case, just disable collisions between the rope ends and that collider, by setting them to the same phase.

This issue is explained in the manual, along with the solution. See the last bit of:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...aints.html

let me know if this helps!
(18-11-2020, 10:06 AM)josemendez Wrote: Could it be that the rope is attached inside a collider? In that case, just disable collisions between the rope ends and that collider, by setting them to the same phase.

This issue is explained in the manual, along with the solution. See the last bit of:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...aints.html

let me know if this helps!

Hi there Jose,

I tried setting both control points, nails and the circle phases to 1. Nails and circle phases on the obi colliders are 1 and the control points have phase 1. However, same behaviour continues. Control points masses are 100, in case it might help, but the mass doesn't seem to affect it either.
(18-11-2020, 10:19 AM)canerozdemir Wrote: Hi there Jose,

I tried setting both control points, nails and the circle phases to 1. Nails and circle phases on the obi colliders are 1 and the control points have phase 1. However, same behaviour continues. Control points masses are 100, in case it might help, but the mass doesn't seem to affect it either.

How are you creating the attachment? is it added at runtime, or already added in-editor when the game starts?
(18-11-2020, 10:26 AM)josemendez Wrote: How are you creating the attachment? is it added at runtime, or already added in-editor when the game starts?

It is already in the editor. I am not creating it by code. The attachments are static. I only have 2 control points, one start and the other is end.
(18-11-2020, 10:28 AM)canerozdemir Wrote: It is already in the editor. I am not creating it by code. The attachments are static. I only have 2 control points, one start and the other is end.

I can't think of any reason why static attachments done in-editor would stray away from the point you attached them to. Would it be possible for me to take a look at the actual project? that's the fastest way to fixing it, I believe.

Edit: does this happen only when you move the attachments around, or it also happens when both the rope and the attachments are at rest? There could be an issue with the order in which attachment position and the simulation are updated during the frame, giving rise to a delay (and a gap) between the attachment movement and the rope following it, but that's the only possible cause off the top of my head.
(18-11-2020, 10:33 AM)josemendez Wrote: I can't think of any reason why static attachments done in-editor would stray away from the point you attached them to. Would it be possible for me to take a look at the actual project? that's the fastest way to fixing it, I believe.

It might take a while for me to do that. The problem occurs when I start moving the circle. When I start the game, I click to the circle and the circle becomes selected. After that, I click to a specific nail and the circle moves to the nail position. The problem occurs when circle reaches to the nail and the rope ends start to jiggle and hang just like in the screenshot. At the start of the game, it stays exactly like I want so I want the rope ends to stay that way regardless of the circle moving or not. I don't want to mess around with distance constraints because I achieved a great rope hanging between two points. The end points are the only problem.

If you still have no idea, I can zip the project for you but I would rather have a solution from here since it will be the fastest for me.
(18-11-2020, 10:41 AM)canerozdemir Wrote: It might take a while for me to do that. The problem occurs when I start moving the circle. When I start the game, I click to the circle and the circle becomes selected. After that, I click to a specific nail and the circle moves to the nail position. The problem occurs when circle reaches to the nail and the rope ends start to jiggle and hang just like in the screenshot. At the start of the game, it stays exactly like I want so I want the rope ends to stay that way regardless of the circle moving or not. I don't want to mess around with distance constraints because I achieved a great rope hanging between two points. The end points are the only problem.

If you still have no idea, I can zip the project for you but I would rather have a solution from here since it will be the fastest for me.

It's hard to tell the cause for sure given the info I have right now. Could be lots of things. If you could send the project to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com, I believe it would take less time to get it on the right path, compared to me beating around the bush Sonrisa
(18-11-2020, 11:35 AM)josemendez Wrote: It's hard to tell the cause for sure given the info I have right now. Could be lots of things. If you could send the project to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com, I believe it would take less time to get it on the right path, compared to me beating around the bush Sonrisa

No worries, I fixed the problem. It is not %100 percent accurate but it is way better than the old version. I added extra control points as the last result and added child objects to hold the points. Not perfect, but it gets the job done. Thank you for your help Sonrisa