Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bug / Crash  Unity crashes when I create a new Control Point
Hey, we are really starting to get into this neat tool, having solved an issue regarding baking the mesh at runtime I now have another query for you. Basically Unity crashes when I create a new control point on the rope, it allows me to create it, but then immediately crashes out to desktop. Upon reloading Unity the new control point is there on the rope, but as you can imagine its not a smooth workflow Sonrisa
(22-10-2020, 05:17 PM)RichardM73 Wrote: Hey, we are really starting to get into this neat tool, having solved an issue regarding baking the mesh at runtime I now have another query for you. Basically Unity crashes when I create a new control point on the rope, it allows me to create it, but then immediately crashes out to desktop. Upon reloading Unity the new control point is there on the rope, but as you can imagine its not a smooth workflow Sonrisa

Hi Richard,

I'm unable to reproduce this, and no one has ever reported something similar. Creating a new control point is basically appending to a list, and adding a new sub-asset, so nothing too complex or out of the ordinary that might give us a hint as to why this happens.

Could you share the editor crash log? Also, which Unity/Obi versions are you using?
Hi, yes I gathered it would not be a common issue as I had a search for something similar before I posted. I'm using Unity 2019.4.0f1. Not sure how to see the Obi Rope version as it doesn't mention a version number in the 'about' window. I've tried to attach a zip file with the crash report and errors but it won't let me add it, also the same thing if I try and send you the unzipped files. How can I get these files to you?

I get an error when I change the name of a control point too, but not a crash.

Socket: connect failed, error: A non-blocking socket operation could not be completed immediately.
(10035)
UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:SaveAssets()
Obi.ObiActorBlueprint:SetParticleGroupName(Int32, String) (at Assets/ThirdParty/Obi/Scripts/Common/Blueprints/ObiActorBlueprint.cs:395)
Obi.ObiRopeBlueprintBase:ControlPointRenamed(Int32) (at Assets/ThirdParty/Obi/Scripts/RopeAndRod/Blueprints/ObiRopeBlueprintBase.cs:57)
UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent`1:Invoke(Int32)
Obi.ObiPath:SetName(Int32, String) (at Assets/ThirdParty/Obi/Scripts/RopeAndRod/DataStructures/Path/ObiPath.cs:262)
Obi.ObiPathEditorGran sonrisarawControlPointInspector() (at Assets/ThirdParty/Obi/Editor/RopeAndRod/ObiPathEditor.cs:825)
Obi.ObiPathEditorGran sonrisarawUIWindow(Int32) (at Assets/ThirdParty/Obi/Editor/RopeAndRod/ObiPathEditor.cs:509)
UnityEngine.GUIUtilityLenguarocessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
(22-10-2020, 05:58 PM)RichardM73 Wrote: Hi, yes I gathered it would not be a common issue as I had a search for something similar before I posted. I'm using Unity 2019.4.0f1. Not sure how to see the Obi Rope version as it doesn't mention a version number in the 'about' window. I've tried to attach a zip file with the crash report and errors but it won't let me add it, also the same thing if I try and send you the unzipped files. How can I get these files to you?

I get an error when I change the name of a control point too, but not a crash.

Socket: connect failed, error: A non-blocking socket operation could not be completed immediately.
(10035)
UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:SaveAssets()
Obi.ObiActorBlueprint:SetParticleGroupName(Int32, String) (at Assets/ThirdParty/Obi/Scripts/Common/Blueprints/ObiActorBlueprint.cs:395)
Obi.ObiRopeBlueprintBase:ControlPointRenamed(Int32) (at Assets/ThirdParty/Obi/Scripts/RopeAndRod/Blueprints/ObiRopeBlueprintBase.cs:57)
UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent`1:Invoke(Int32)
Obi.ObiPath:SetName(Int32, String) (at Assets/ThirdParty/Obi/Scripts/RopeAndRod/DataStructures/Path/ObiPath.cs:262)
Obi.ObiPathEditorGran sonrisarawControlPointInspector() (at Assets/ThirdParty/Obi/Editor/RopeAndRod/ObiPathEditor.cs:825)
Obi.ObiPathEditorGran sonrisarawUIWindow(Int32) (at Assets/ThirdParty/Obi/Editor/RopeAndRod/ObiPathEditor.cs:509)
UnityEngine.GUIUtilityLenguarocessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Hi,

Just send the files to support(at)virtualmethodstudio.com Sonrisa.

You can see the Obi version in the /Obi/CHANGELOG_rope.txt file. The version at the top of the file is your current version.

UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:SaveAssets() is an internal unity method, that is supposed to save any recently modified assets. No reason for it to throw an error.
This does seem like a bug in Unity, as I could find a few threads with similar issues on asset-related calls: https://forum.unity.com/threads/build-er...ls.651040/
To future readers of this thread: the conversation continued via email, turns out this was a bug in Unity, resolved by updating to a newer Unity version.