Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Jump Rope
-Is there any way I can speed it up while still maintaining its form?(Check the video below) Because I want it to have the same radius even when you speed it up because I want a character to jump on it.
-Can I simulate the motion of the rope just like how it moves when you do jump rope? Like a character will hold it, so both of its end is close to each other.
Can you give me some suggestions or alternatives? Thanks.

-
Hi there,

Just increase the amount of distance constraint iterations/substeps. This way the rope will resist stretching under more violent motion, allowing you to spin it faster while keeping its current shape.

There's a page in the manual that describes in great detail how iterations/substeps affect the simulation:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...gence.html

However keep in mind that in real life, you can't spin the rope at an arbitrary speed/radius and have it keep its shape: as the rotation speed increases, the rotation radius must decrease accordingly to keep inertia going. Also, the rotation speed must closely match the rotation of the rope, getting only progressively faster.

Starting at rest, if you rotate the ends in a wide circle very fast, you won't get good results with a real rope either: it will just flab around.

cheers!
(04-09-2020, 02:55 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there,

Just increase the amount of distance constraint iterations/substeps. This way the rope will resist stretching under more violent motion, allowing you to spin it faster while keeping its current shape.

There's a page in the manual that describes in great detail how iterations/substeps affect the simulation:
http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...gence.html

However keep in mind that in real life, you can't spin the rope at an arbitrary speed/radius and have it keep its shape: as the rotation speed increases, the rotation radius must decrease accordingly to keep inertia going. Also, the rotation speed must closely match the rotation of the rope, getting only progressively faster.

Starting at rest, if you rotate the ends in a wide circle very fast, you won't get good results with a real rope either: it will just flab around.

cheers!
Thanks for the help! Just need to explore more to get what I'm trying to achieve.