Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creating crying tears on skinned mesh
Hello,

I do not own Obi fluid yet (I do own a few of your other assets though, so I know how good they are)

I'm desperately looking for a nice solution to create tears (crying character), blood dropping from a wound or even things like Sweating or rain over a face.

While looking on your youtube channel I saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDDwaPsy4k4 and got excited that it was indeed possible.

But then I saw the description that it's a toy project and not actual part of Obi Fluid.

But maybe my requirements can be fulfilled with Obi Fluid. I do not need to actually replace my Character skin shader (if possible) for this anyway

Does Obi Fluid have the possibility for what I'm asking for here? if yes could you briefly explain the steps (in high level if it's not too complex)

If not, would the shader from the video capable of doing that? And if so, do you plan to release it anytime soon? Sonrisa

Thank you by advance for your reply!
(20-08-2020, 02:07 AM)Necka Wrote: Hello,

I do not own Obi fluid yet (I do own a few of your other assets though, so I know how good they are)

I'm desperately looking for a nice solution to create tears (crying character), blood dropping from a wound or even things like Sweating or rain over a face.

While looking on your youtube channel I saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDDwaPsy4k4 and got excited that it was indeed possible.

But then I saw the description that it's a toy project and not actual part of Obi Fluid.

But maybe my requirements can be fulfilled with Obi Fluid. I do not need to actually replace my Character skin shader (if possible) for this anyway

Does Obi Fluid have the possibility for what I'm asking for here? if yes could you briefly explain the steps (in high level if it's not too complex)

If not, would the shader from the video capable of doing that? And if so, do you plan to release it anytime soon? Sonrisa

Thank you by advance for your reply!

Hi Necka,

Using ObiFluid for fluid on a character's body is not a good idea, as you'd only rely on collision detection for keeping the fluid on the surface of the mesh, which is not very robust (and quite expensive).

Simulating fluid in texture space (like I did for the shader in the video) is both much more robust and a lot cheaper. That particular shader isn't really in an usable state yet (no support for skinning, not dealing with texture seams, etc). The basic technique is quite simple to implement though, and is referred to as "gravity maps". You can take a look at it here: https://developer.download.nvidia.com/SD...Shader.pdf
(21-08-2020, 12:30 PM)josemendez Wrote: Hi Necka,

Using ObiFluid for fluid on a character's body is not a good idea, as you'd only rely on collision detection for keeping the fluid on the surface of the mesh, which is not very robust (and quite expensive).

Simulating fluid in texture space (like I did for the shader in the video) is both much more robust and a lot cheaper. That particular shader isn't really in an usable state yet (no support for skinning, not dealing with texture seams, etc). The basic technique is quite simple to implement though, and is referred to as "gravity maps".  You can take a look at it here: https://developer.download.nvidia.com/SD...Shader.pdf

Thank you Jose for your answer, the paper is interesting but above my technical skill grade unfortunately Sonrisa I'll rely on another solution then.
(22-08-2020, 03:47 AM)Necka Wrote: Thank you Jose for your answer, the paper is interesting but above my technical skill grade unfortunately Sonrisa I'll rely on another solution then.

If you need/want, I can share the fluid shader shown in the video with you, just let me know what email address to send it to. It won't get you all the way to the finish line, but will get you closer Sonrisa. Maybe you can get someone to add the missing bits.