Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Tense rope for IOS and Attachment Issue
Hi Gentlemen,

I am using Obi Rope 5.4 Package for a hypercasual game on IOS with my team. This package is amazing but I am struggling with a couple of problems and I hope that you can help me.

1-) I need a really tense rope like rubber band with zero stretch. I saw on the forum if i increase substeps of the obi solver, it will gave me that but then it really effects the performance. Can you give me an example of constraints and proper substep count on solver, just to reach that tense rope structure that does not causes performance issues.

2-) Some of my ropes does not attach to target objects even though there is an attachment on them. Everything is the same with my ropes but sometimes they not attach.

I am really appreciated  about your help and time. 

Kind Regards
(18-08-2020, 08:17 AM)methicillin Wrote: Hi Gentlemen,

I am using Obi Rope 5.4 Package for a hypercasual game on IOS with my team. This package is amazing but I am struggling with a couple of problems and I hope that you can help me.

1-) I need a really tense rope like rubber band with zero stretch. I saw on the forum if i increase substeps of the obi solver, it will gave me that but then it really effects the performance. Can you give me an example of constraints and proper substep count on solver, just to reach that tense rope structure that does not causes performance issues.

2-) Some of my ropes does not attach to target objects even though there is an attachment on them. Everything is the same with my ropes but sometimes they not attach.

I am really appreciated  about your help and time. 

Kind Regards

Hi,

1) Zero stretch can not be guaranteed in a constraint chain (such as a rope) in any iterative physics engine. This accounts for most realtime physics engines. The reason for this is that iterative solvers would need a potentially infinite amount of iterations (or a minuscule timestep) to reach zero stretch.

However, increasing the amount of substeps will greatly improve convergence, and reduce spurious stretching. Reducing the rope blueprint resolution will also help, as there will be less constraints in the rope. Using shorter ropes also improves convergence.

4-6 substeps should be enough to achieve near zero stretch in ropes of around 1-2 meters at full resolution.

2) Static or dynamic attachments? Can you show an example of this?
Pregunta 
Hi,

1) Zero stretch can not be guaranteed in a constraint chain (such as a rope) in any iterative physics engine. This accounts for most realtime physics engines. The reason for this is that iterative solvers would need a potentially infinite amount of iterations (or a minuscule timestep) to reach zero stretch.

However, increasing the amount of substeps will greatly improve convergence, and reduce spurious stretching. Reducing the rope blueprint resolution will also help, as there will be less constraints in the rope. Using shorter ropes also improves convergence.

4-6 substeps should be enough to achieve near zero stretch in ropes of around 1-2 meters at full resolution.

2) Static or dynamic attachments? Can you show an example of this?[/quote]
Hi,
Thanks for returning so quickly. I am sharing my obi solver constraints and rope status on the attachments. You can see the final result of ropes in those pictures. My goal is making them straight lines for reaching win condition in game.

My attachments are dynamic. The picture that i sended is from the problem one as you can see in the gameplay picture. It's the second one from the top. I check the obi collider on the target body and it is like the other ones too.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.png   ingamecond.png (Size: 85.19 KB / Downloads: 11)
Hi again,

I find out my ropes are around 20 meters. I am making a bridge game so it was make sense to me until you said you can reach good tense level at 2 meters etc. Colliders are working without any problem in those ranges too.

Is there any chance to shorten my current rope bluerprints via scaling down or etc. I found that if i scale down my obi solver rope behaviour does not change.