Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boxing Ring Rope
Hi there,

I've been playing about a bit with Obi Rope and have been trying to get a Boxing Ring like rope setup.

I've tried using a rod, but i was just wondering how performant it would be to have 16 ropes in a scene.

Our game is currently using HDRP and we have some really high fidelity art assets, so we dont really want to be losing too much performance for ropes.

Also do you have any suggestions as to how to optimize ropes to make them more performant?
(14-08-2020, 05:48 PM)ebruins Wrote: Hi there,

I've been playing about a bit with Obi Rope and have been trying to get a Boxing Ring like rope setup.

I've tried using a rod, but i was just wondering how performant it would be to have 16 ropes in a scene.

Our game is currently using HDRP and we have some really high fidelity art assets, so we dont really want to be losing too much performance for ropes.

Also do you have any suggestions as to how to optimize ropes to make them more performant?

Hi there,

Rods are generally much more costly than ropes, as they simulate a full material frame with torsion, shearing, bending and stretching. Ropes only simulate bending and stretching. Unless you need torsion/shearing simulation (imho, not needed for a boxing ring), you will be better off using ropes.

Profiling is key for any optimization: profile your scene to see what's taking up more time, then see if you can reduce or even get rid of that. In many scenes, rope mesh generation is actually more costly than simulation. Use decimation where possible, to adaptively simplify the mesh. Also, disable all constraints you're not using, and then use as few substeps/iterations as you can get away with. Without analyzing profiler data, that's pretty much all advice I can give...