Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  [obi rope]I want to make the string smaller
Hello.I am a beginner. The question was too rudimentary and the search did not find an answer...

The default rope for my stage is thick and short, so I tried to make it thin and long.

However, the strings sometimes pass over the ground and get stuck, making movement unnatural.

Before thinning it was my ideal move.

The version I'm using
・unity2019
・obi rope5

Where I changed to make the rope thinner
Case 1・[Obi Rope Extruded Renderer]-[Thicdness Scale]0.8→0.1
Case 2・[Edit path]-[Thickness]1→0.1
[Obi Path Smoother]-[Smoothing]0→3
Changed the length:[Edit path]I moved the left and right points to make them longer.

I would be grateful if you could point me to what is wrong.

Thank you.
(06-08-2020, 03:30 AM)nyame Wrote: Hello.I am a beginner. The question was too rudimentary and the search did not find an answer...

The default rope for my stage is thick and short, so I tried to make it thin and long.

However, the strings sometimes pass over the ground and get stuck, making movement unnatural.

Before thinning it was my ideal move.

The version I'm using
・unity2019
・obi rope5

Where I changed to make the rope thinner
Case 1・[Obi Rope Extruded Renderer]-[Thicdness Scale]0.8→0.1
Case 2・[Edit path]-[Thickness]1→0.1
[Obi Path Smoother]-[Smoothing]0→3
Changed the length:[Edit path]I moved the left and right points to make them longer.

I would be grateful if you could point me to what is wrong.

Thank you.

Thinning a rope will exacerbate tunneling, because it makes its particles smaller. Tunneling is inherent to computer-simulated physics, and present in all physics engines, if you're unfamiliar with the concept this video talks about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms0Z35GY6pk

Quote:Case 1・[Obi Rope Extruded Renderer]-[Thicdness Scale]0.8→0.1

This won't change the actual physical thickness of the rope, it will only draw it thinner than it really is. This is a property of the rope renderer, so it only affects rendering.

Quote:Case 2・[Edit path]-[Thickness]1→0.1

This will make particles physically larger or smaller, but will not resample the rope to keep a fixed resolution. Can be used to make local adjustments to the rope, but not recommended to change the thickness of the entire rope.

Quote:Case 3 ・[Obi Path Smoother]-[Smoothing]0→3

Smoothing does not affect the thickness of the rope at all. It simply generates a mesh with more triangles, so that it appears smoother. See: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...modes.html

The correct way to adjust the thickness of the entire rope is [RopeBlueprint]-[Thickness]. This will resample the rope so that inter-particle distance stays constant when making particles larger/smaller. See: http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...setup.html

Quote:Changed the length:[Edit path]I moved the left and right points to make them longer.

Correct. Editing the rope path is the way you're supposed to change rope length/rest shape.