Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help  Collision with Mesh Colliders
Hey, I'm new to Obi Rope and I was wondering if you can help me with this problem:

I have 2 ropes attaches to obejct on both ends. Particles of rope are in the same phase with those objects so they wont collide. Phase: 2. Which works fine. But I cant make them to collide with Mesh colliders of other objects which are in phase: 3. Ropes do collide with BoxColliders in phase: 3 but not mesh colliders. Any ideas why?

Edit: I forgot to say that I have particles only on ends of rope in phase 2. And all other obejcts have obi colliders.
(05-08-2020, 03:06 PM)Marev Wrote: Hey, I'm new to Obi Rope and I was wondering if you can help me with this problem:

I have 2 ropes attaches to obejct on both ends. Particles of rope are in the same phase with those objects so they wont collide. Phase: 2. Which works fine. But I cant make them to collide with Mesh colliders of other objects which are in phase: 3. Ropes do collide with BoxColliders in phase: 3 but not mesh colliders. Any ideas why?

Edit: I forgot to say that I have particles only on ends of rope in phase 2. And all other obejcts have obi colliders.

Hi Marev,

Particles should collide fine with MeshColliders with the setup you described, but remember that MeshColliders aren't solid: they're paper-thin, so only the surface generates collisions, not its entire volume. If a particle passes trough the MeshCollider due to tunneling, it won't be projected back outside. This is specially problematic if you're moving the MeshCollider by setting its transform directly.

If this is your case, there's several solutions to this: use distance fields (http://obi.virtualmethodstudio.com/tutor...ields.html), use the ObiKinematicVelocities component to alleviate tunneling, or use a combination of primitive colliders instead of a MeshCollider.
Thanks for fast reply. I'll try those solutions. One more thing, my mesh colliders have convex turned on, will that be a problem?
(06-08-2020, 09:40 AM)Marev Wrote: Thanks for fast reply. I'll try those solutions. One more thing, my mesh colliders have convex turned on, will that be a problem?

Obi always considers the colliders to be concave, as it uses their actual triangles for collision detection.
Thanks for help, I switched to compound colliders (primitive) and it works better.