Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do cloth, fluid, rope and softbody react to each other or only rigid bodies?
Hi everyone!

I'm really impressed by all the videos, but there are only examples of e.g. cloth or fluid having a two-way reaction to rigid bodies.

Can fluid also be poured onto a cloth object? Can rope be tied around a softbody? Et cetera...

And can all four systems be used on skinned meshes?

I'm reading it's a "unified framework" and the FAQ states "it is still possible to use all assets together if you own them all", but I'm unsure because no videos show the actual interactions between the four systems.

I hope that is possible, thank you for the feedback in advance!
(30-07-2020, 12:47 AM)Flexologic Wrote: Hi everyone!

I'm really impressed by all the videos, but there are only examples of e.g. cloth or fluid having a two-way reaction to rigid bodies.

Can fluid also be poured onto a cloth object? Can rope be tied around a softbody? Et cetera...

And can all four systems be used on skinned meshes?

I'm reading it's a "unified framework" and the FAQ states "it is still possible to use all assets together if you own them all", but I'm unsure because no videos show the actual interactions between the four systems.

I hope that is possible, thank you for the feedback in advance!

Hi there,

Yes, all actors can interact with each other. At the end of the day everything is made out of particles, and particles collide with each other.

Quote:And can all four systems be used on skinned meshes?

It depends on what you mean by "used". Cloth can be skinned (that's the way character cloth is done), and softbodies/ropes can be driven by bones, However direct collision with skinned meshes is not supported by any of the 4 assets, as collision with deformable meshes is extremely costly.
Hi josemendez, thank you so much for your feedback!

To have a better understanding of what is possible and what is not I have a few additional scenarios of which I wonder what is possible.

Scenario 1: I have attached a screenshot of your video. If those creatures were skinned meshes, but the tentacles were to be driven by Obi Softbody, could the tentacles of two creatures interact with each other?

Scenario 2: Then next, if I would want to pour a fluid onto those skinned creatures you say that wouldn't work. But might there be a solution to make it work? E.g. somehow first animate the skinned mesh and then make a particle-object 'track' the skinned mesh and replace the skinned mesh so that it can interact with the fluid? Can we make it somehow work with a few tricks?

By the way, I understand that collision with deformable meshes would be extremely costly, but my end product is a high quality rendered video. So cost and longer render times are not an issue.

I am switching from 3DSMax/Maya to Unity/Unreal Engine for my renderings, as so many professionals in the industry are.

But I fully understand if you cannot focus on realtime and offline rendering at the same time.

I have to say though, as others have mentioned, your systems are incredibly well built, fast and precise. I have never seen something like that inside e.g. 3DS Max. There is definitely a demand for such high quality tools in the offline rendering world.

Sorry, I forgot the attachment!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)