Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can this cloth be used for a football goal net
Hello,

I'm making a football game and I was searching for a goal net/cloth asset.
Do you think your cloth simulator can do the work and be set up as a football goal net?
Are there some limits to the rigid body size and speed?

Something like this:
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/videothumb_large16580/165809719.mp4
or
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/videothumb_large12200/122001404.mp4

Also, how do you think it will affect performance on mobile since that will be the target platform.
(26-07-2020, 08:21 PM)mikemnd Wrote: Hello,

I'm making a football game and I was searching for a goal net/cloth asset.
Do you think your cloth simulator can do the work and be set up as a football goal net?
Are there some limits to the rigid body size and speed?

Something like this:
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/videothumb_large16580/165809719.mp4
or
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/videothumb_large12200/122001404.mp4

Also, how do you think it will affect performance on mobile since that will be the target platform.

Hi there,

ObiCloth was initially created out of need for this specific use case, also in a soccer game, so yes it can be done.

Keep in mind that the usual restrictions in timestep size and object velocity apply, as they do in any physics engine. Tunneling can happen under certain circumstances if the ball is too small/too fast, but this can be alleviated by using sub stepping.

Regarding performance, keep in mind that cloth simulation is always quite expensive. In our original use case, we also targeted mobile in addition to desktop platforms. In less powerful devices (iPhone 7 and lower) we had to fake the net simulation by using a simple spring force on the ball, and a vertex displacement shader that deformed the net based on the ball's position.

kind regards,

Edit: for completeness, here's ObiCloth used for a soccer net:
(27-07-2020, 07:10 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there,

ObiCloth was initially created out of need for this specific use case, also in a soccer game, so yes it can be done.

Keep in mind that the usual restrictions in timestep size and object velocity apply, as they do in any physics engine. Tunneling can happen under certain circumstances if the ball is too small/too fast, but this can be alleviated by using sub stepping.

Regarding performance, keep in mind that cloth simulation is always quite expensive. In our original use case, we also targeted mobile in addition to desktop platforms. In less powerful devices (iPhone 7 and lower) we had to fake the net simulation by using a simple spring force on the ball, and a vertex displacement shader that deformed the net based on the ball's position.

kind regards,

Edit: for completeness, here's ObiCloth used for a soccer net:

Can you send this project file's. I am trying to do something like this but i couldnt accomplish it.
Hi there,

Unfortunately we no longer have that project around, but it should be pretty easy to replicate. It's just a regular (non-skinned, non-tearable) cloth with collision detection enabled, and the particles at the edges attached to the goal posts. Let me know if you need help with anything in particular.
(20-10-2020, 08:09 AM)josemendez Wrote: Hi there,

Unfortunately we no longer have that project around, but it should be pretty easy to replicate. It's just a regular (non-skinned, non-tearable) cloth with collision detection enabled, and the particles at the edges attached to the goal posts. Let me know if you need help with anything in particular.

I assume the SoccerGoal example scene is the same as in the video?

I am wondering whether I can use ropes to simulate the ropes that hold up a modern soccer net in the manner shown in this picture? That means attaching the cloth to the ropes. Is that possible? I'm hoping that would give the entire net a more realistic feel.

(25-11-2021, 05:27 PM)DeprecatedHuman Wrote: I assume the SoccerGoal example scene is the same as in the video?

I am wondering whether I can use ropes to simulate the ropes that hold up a modern soccer net in the manner shown in this picture? That means attaching the cloth to the ropes. Is that possible? I'm hoping that would give the entire net a more realistic feel.

Hi! Sonrisa

Yes, you can use the ObiStitcher component to attach the corners of the cloth to the rope. This is the approach used in the scene shown in the above video, which is similar to the SoccerGoal sample scene included with ObiCloth (except that the included one does not use ropes).